WTB - Wooden Box for My Clinton Reel

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
RonG
Super Board Poster

WTB - Wooden Box for My Clinton Reel

Post by RonG »

8) Anyone have an extra one laying around? This reel listing in this 1898 catalog states the reel came in one!

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: WTB - Wooden Box for My Clinton Reel

Post by Mike N »

That will be a tough one, Ron. The last time I saw a turned wood Clinton reel box, it was owned by a Leprechaun riding a unicorn being chased by Bigfoot.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

last time I saw a turned wood Clinton reel box, it was owned by a Leprechaun riding a unicorn being chased by Bigfoot.
I've been called several things before, but never that:
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Jim, if that round box is in your collection, I have no doubt about its provenance. But I see similar containers at Hobby Lobby type of stores.

By comparison, the round cardboard Billinghurst reel box has the drawing of the reel on the lid. Similarly, we know the turn of the century Orvis reel boxes were walnut (stated in catalog) and were cut exactly to form fit the reel and the detached handle. We know what the Orvis hinges and hasps and tissue paper inserts look like since we’ve uncovered dozens of them with the second model Orvis 1874 actually inside.

I realize that far fewer Clinton reels were sold, but without something indicating the round case was made for a Clinton reel, how can we be sure? Maybe a marking or a catalog drawing?

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I had one several years ago, but had to burn it for fuel to start a stream-side fish fry. It definitely makes a good kindling.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Mike N wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:26 pm Jim, if that round box is in your collection, I have no doubt about its provenance. But I see similar containers at Hobby Lobby type of stores.

By comparison, the round cardboard Billinghurst reel box has the drawing of the reel on the lid. Similarly, we know the turn of the century Orvis reel boxes were walnut (stated in catalog) and were cut exactly to form fit the reel and the detached handle. We know what the Orvis hinges and hasps and tissue paper inserts look like since we’ve uncovered dozens of them with the second model Orvis 1874 actually inside.

I realize that far fewer Clinton reels were sold, but without something indicating the round case was made for a Clinton reel, how can we be sure? Maybe a marking or a catalog drawing?

Mike N.
I doubt that even the most novice collector would be fooled by the plain straight grain of the pine Hobby Lobby canister. Not many forgers would take the time or pains involved in making a canister the quality of Jim's. Craftsmanship and patience of that magnitude have become a lost art.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027