Orvis 1874 -scew-off oil cap - wanted

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
forma.fario
Big ORCA Fan

Orvis 1874 -scew-off oil cap - wanted

Post by forma.fario »

Hi fellow tackle collectors. I have been hopelessly in love whith the Orvis 1874 narrow drum fly reel, since a freinds father brought one back to Denmark from a fishing trip to the US, in the sixties. Pure elegance and class.

Now I have succeded in bying one from an british auction, but it is whitout the screw off oilcap. So are there anyone who can sell me too such a cap? New orr old, even a fitting nut would bee an improvement.

I am very new to this media, so bare whit me, if I make mistakes.

Teight lines / knæk og bræk
Steen
Last edited by kyreels on Wed May 05, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: email removed
forma.fario
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Orvis 1874 -scew-off oil cap - wanted

Post by forma.fario »

If someone has got an extra screw-off oil-cap to the Orvis 1874 trout reel, i am ready to pay in the area of 80$ for it.
Regards
forma.fario
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Steen, take a look at this earlier thread regarding dating Orvis 1874 patent reels by reference to the rear of the reel and perhaps you can post a photo of your reel to see if someone can help. Note the "screw off oil cap" mentioned in the ca. 1900 Orvis catalog on this link.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23404
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
forma.fario
Big ORCA Fan

Post by forma.fario »

Hello Mike N, thanks a lot for the tip. My reel is clearly a mod. 3 (nipple, tekst and no optional check). I am afraid that my competence does not reach for oploading a foto, yet.
But thanks a lot.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Here's a photo of the oil cap thread.

desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Post by desertangler »

Hi Steen,

I needed one too for my reel and resorted to using a cap from a Montague reel. Not original, but nice looking. Be aware, not all Montague reel caps fit. If you're interested, I can take a look to see what I have.

Cheers,

George
:fished Reely Easy Going ORCA Member
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

I think there is one out in the haystack right next to the needle and the original bicycle grip knob for a Kovalovsky reel. :roll:
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

I seem to recall that there were reproductions of this model in the 90's. This may be an avenue to explore for parts. If your vintage part is in hiding, a stand-in might be a little easier to find while your original waits to be found in the afore mentioned haystack.