B.F. Meek & Sons Tackle Box F/S

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

B.F. Meek & Sons Tackle Box F/S

Post by Bill Muth »

Missing the inside trays, asking $325 including shipping. Harvey posted that he has the trays available under my post on Joe's Old Lures message board.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I'm glad that Meek's reel making skills were better than his calligraphy :D

Bill: Based on the shape of the lid in the second view, there must be a compartment in there...what does it look like?
Last edited by john elder on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

hmmmm! what is the metal?

Post by SWIM JIG »

:) :? :wink: :!: :?: cool-thumb USA Bill, please take a magnet to the box, if it dont (stick) it well may be the same thing the East Kentucky coal miners used for a lunch pail< its shaped the same and as same size. The Coal miners lunch pails were made of aluminum and brass for hinges and a brass pin for the hinging, also the clips used to hold the box from opening were if brass! Its a most interesting item, the reason for a non ferious item was so it wouldnt cause a spark and set off menthane gas to cause a explosion, If its what It looks like and all non ferous metal, could you give the mesurments? If its the same as a lunch bucket, My son -in Law would most likly want it to display in his office at his mine. Your ohio Conection on lake erie , Col. M. lorens aka SWIM JIG
Comet Collector

Are you sure it is a tackle box?

Post by Comet Collector »

You either have a one-of-a-kind or one of a thousand (minus Meeks name painted on in odd style lettering). Wonder why it wasn't inscribed? What do you think Steve V? It diffinately had a hard life. :wink:
comet collector

Too much rust for aluminum and...

Post by comet collector »

not many lunch pails had locks unless you worked in a PA coal mine. :P
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

From what I have been told, those lunch box type were made by Falls City of Louisville. I have seen Falls City's, Meek's, A&I, A&F and some unmarked. I have a Shakespeare with a very poor painted stencil in the same place. They were in the catalogues in the teens and early twenties.
"H"

And the ones I have seen are metal.
Comet Collectors

Lunch pail

Post by Comet Collectors »

early lunch pails were metal. Not much plastics until the 50s. I don't believe that one in the pic is stenciled, I could be wrong.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Harvey's correct, except I don't believe Falls City was in Louisville. I have owned three of these Meek boxes, and have also owned several of the same boxes labeled Shakespeare and Abercrombie & Fitch, and maybe some others. I have also found them with no markings on it, just painted black. And they were all manufactured as tackle boxes with trays.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Falls City

Post by Teal »

Phil,

Falls City may not have been a Louisville company during the era this box was made, but it did eventually find its way there as a subsidiary of Stratton & Terstegge Hardware Co. (Louisville) which produced a ginormous line of tackle boxes, fly boxes, etc. marked Falls City and My Buddy from the 1930s onward (and probably earlier as well). I have a 1940 catalog showing the very large factory with a huge sign that says "Falls City and My Buddy" on the side, and claiming to be the world's largest manufacturer of minnow buckets and tackle boxes.

I have been told that Falls City had been owned by S&T from the beginning (1890s) but have not been able to verify this as of yet.

Cheers,

Dr. Todd
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Sorry about that. 90 year old geezers memories aren't what they used to be.

And what in 'ell is ginormous. That sounds almost as good as the word I invented that now finds some use - "wowser". It was first used in the Reel News in a story about a Wheeler & McGregor in it's wooden box.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

anyone got one of these boxes that's complete with the innards? and it still looks like there are compartments in the lid...or are my eyes just crossed? (free one, Harvey :D)
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Interesting stuff guys, very informative. Now somebody buy the freakin' thing. Price drop to $300, shipping included.

I've got a couple of these still in my collection, one like this one and another with the printing on the front of the tackle box (larger letters, different script). Not sure how many variations are out there.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Ginormous

Post by Teal »

Hi Phil,

Oops, got caught up in "student speak." Its a word that they seem to use in every other sentence. Anyway Webster's defines it thusly:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ginormous

Ginormous indeed.

Cheers,

Dr. Todd

P.S. Kudos to coining "wowser". Maybe we can submit it to the O.E.D. as a new English word?
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Broadening my vocab

Post by Richard Lodge »

Todd: THanks for the info about ginormous. What a great word! Nice to add a new one to one's vocabulary. You never know when you'll come across a "ginormous" field find or maybe just a "ginormous" tuition bill.
Regards,
Richard :wink: