Johnson 710 B closed face casting reels.

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Andrew K
Big ORCA Fan

Johnson 710 B closed face casting reels.

Post by Andrew K »

Greetings, I am looking for the following items.
I surfed the net and I can across the following numbers.
703-2 Back cover.
703-3 Back cover Assy. (Guessing this comes with the thumb button)
702-6-G Cover Front (Sub-507020)
P.S . My thumb button is white in color.
The main reason why I am looking for these parts is the reel cover (Green) which
is made of metal cannot become tight when screwed into the black back plastic
casing(which holds the thumb button). That is due to the threads becoming worn through the years.
The whole problem is the black back casing.
I was thinking of replacing it as a set( Reel cover and back casing)
Thanks,
Andrew K.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Johnson 710 B closed face casting reels.

Post by Shellbelly »

Not sure how bad the stripped hole is without seeing it, but you could try filling the hole with something adhesive and softer than the original plastic. Then gently making new threads with the original screw after the "new plastic" repair dries or cures... being careful not to split the original casework around the threaded hole when making the new threads. All that, of course, if you can't find parts or a parts reel.

Kind of like making a plastic helicoil.
Andrew K
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Andrew K »

Shellbelly wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:16 pm Not sure how bad the stripped hole is without seeing it, but you could try filling the hole with something adhesive and softer than the original plastic. Then gently making new threads with the original screw after the "new plastic" repair dries or cures... being careful not to split the original casework around the threaded hole when making the new threads. All that, of course, if you can't find parts or a parts reel.

Kind of like making a plastic helicoil.
By reading your post, I think you are suggesting filling up the existing
Male threads on the plastic casing with soft plastic and after it dries
use the reel cover which is made of metal and has female threads to
rethread the plastic rear casing. Am I right?
Thanks,
Andrew. K
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Yes, but I made the suggestion without seeing the problem. I'm assuming there is a hole where threads have been worn away.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Here is a schematic. Which part needs repair? It will help if you could post a picture of the damaged part. There are a few of these reels on ebay. Some are pricey, some aren't. I noticed that the rotor nut tends to crack on these models. Having a parts reel or two around will help you keep one running.
Andrew K
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Andrew K »

Shellbelly wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:26 am Yes, but I made the suggestion without seeing the problem. I'm assuming there is a hole where threads have been worn away.
Greetings,
The problem with the reel is the reel's cover is not tight when spun in.
The thread on the back cover is made of Plastic and it is worn due to
wear and tear and there aren't any holes anywhere.
I think your suggestion might just work by building up the worn
area and then rethread that area.
Thanks.
Andrew.K
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

I think I'm with you now. You intend to spread a material around the threaded rim of the 703 case, let it cure and make new threads with the 702 cover. I just noticed you are in Singapore. If parts are scarce or too expensive to import, you gotta do what you gotta do to keep fishing!

Be gentle with this process and make sure the cover is square to the case when you start spinning it on. I've seen electrical tape, friction tape, silicone, etc used for this issue. In reality, it is temporary and you shouldn't expect it to last.

If possible, try to find another reel. In any event, your efforts to keep your equipment running deserve respect.
Andrew K
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Andrew K »

Shellbelly wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:03 am I think I'm with you now. You intend to spread a material around the threaded rim of the 703 case, let it cure and make new threads with the 702 cover. I just noticed you are in Singapore. If parts are scarce or too expensive to import, you gotta do what you gotta do to keep fishing!

Be gentle with this process and make sure the cover is square to the case when you start spinning it on. I've seen electrical tape, friction tape, silicone, etc used for this issue. In reality, it is temporary and you shouldn't expect it to last.

If possible, try to find another reel. In any event, your efforts to keep your equipment running deserve respect.
Good Friday Morning From Singapore,
At first, I used white Teflon tape on the threads and the cover was tight,
so that is what I thought. When I landed a fish and with tension on the line the
cover came off and I had to put the rod down and pull in the fish by hand.
I checked with JRCA ( Johnson Reel Collector's Assn) and they don't have the cover
also. It is really hard to find parts for the Johnson Reel. I will try the method you
recommended.
I have another Johnson reel a 100A. I would say that this reel is a work of art.
It is made in 1957 the same year I was born and I am sad to say that this reel
looks and performs much better than me. ( HaHaHa)
64 yrs ago a reel was made and all you have to do is remove two screws and
you can change right to left-hand retrieve. When the clicker is worn out just
remove the spool flip it around and the clicker works.Simple yet very effective.
That is the reason why I want to keep fishing with these reels and it is always a
conversational item.
Thanks,
Andrew.K
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

If you are just trying to make the reel usable you might try locating 2 or 3 short self tapping micro screws like they are using these days on the graphite reel bodies. Find some spots on the body where it is thick enough to hold the screws. Use the Teflon tape as you did previously to keep a snug fit and drill holes in the metal cover where you want the screws to secure it. Make sure, though, that they won't interfere with the rotor or spool. Use a very small bit to pre drill the plastic body so it doesn't crack
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Andrew K
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Andrew K »

Midway Tommy D wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:53 pm If you are just trying to make the reel usable you might try locating 2 or 3 short self tapping micro screws like they are using these days on the graphite reel bodies. Find some spots on the body where it is thick enough to hold the screws. Use the Teflon tape as you did previously to keep a snug fit and drill holes in the metal cover where you want the screws to secure it. Make sure, though, that they won't interfere with the rotor or spool. Use a very small bit to pre drill the plastic body so it doesn't crack
Thanks, that thought already crossed my mind by drilling the cover and using micro
countersunk self-tapping screws. The only setback is the reel is not original anymore.
I will try building it up and rethreading it.
Thanks,
Andrew.K