Hardy Bros. 5 1/4 Inch Alma Reel - C.R. Klein

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Hardy Bros. 5 1/4 Inch Alma Reel - C.R. Klein

Post by reeltackle »

FOR SALE - SOLD

Now here is something you don't see every day. This Hardy Bros. 5 1/4 inch Alma two speed big game reel is in great condition with a couple of improvements made by California reel maker C.R. Klein.

This Alma reel is in great condition and was improved upon by C.R. Klein. I say improved upon and not repaired because the reel shows no signs of having to be repaired in the first place. First Klein replaced the handle, the handle knob, and the handle retaining nut with the exact ones you would find on his big game reels. Next Klein added two cross bars to the reel. One directly attached to the pillar facing the angler. The second cross bar Klein added between the harness clips on the top of the reel. These bars appear on Klein's reels and were used to clip on his special harness attachment. Next Klein removed the Hardy Bros. bearing covers on both the front and back side of the reel and replaced them with knurled, screw off bearing caps. I don't know if Klein made any internal improvements to the reel but it spins like a top and all of its features operate just as they should.

There is a Hardy Bros. 8 1/2 inch "Zane Grey" reel with Klein improvements out there that I am sure a few of you big game collectors have seen. Klein removed the reel's foot and added a massive cradle to it. Klein also added a handle, handle knob, and star drag to the big "Zane Grey" reel. I don't know if the "Zane Grey" reel and this "Alma" reel belonged to the same fellow or if Klein just like improving on Hardy big game reels.

Either way, here is a very cool reel at a great price - $3,500 - Call me if you are interested -

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.