J.A.Coxe DO/ALL Model 65C

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
RonT

J.A.Coxe DO/ALL Model 65C

Post by RonT »

I'm in the process of selling off some flyfishing tackle for an older gentleman, and this baitcaster reel came up. It's marked J.A.Coxe DO/ALL Model 65C. There is also a leather clamshell type case that he beieved thr reel came in. The number 7298 is stamped on the bottom.
I appreciate any help on evaluating.
TIA,
RonT
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

As I recall re the one I have, it appears to be the Coxe answer to the Shakes Service levelwind and is about the same quality. Mine is in the proper box, but no clamshell holder...I think most of those were aftermarket purchases, but someone that actually has a clue can probably add to this. quasi-unique, being an early freshwater reel with star drag. i would imagine that 50 plus/minus 10 would be the range for that reel, if near 10/10. Other comments from the gallery?
orourke
Super Board Poster

check ebay completed sales

Post by orourke »

Many of those reels have sold this past year on ebay. I have never seen one with a leather case. That reel is larger than the normal J.A.Coxe reel case. Is your clam shell marked? Is it marked Coxe?

It is a cool reel, also comes in an aluminum model and a Bronson model.

Post by Guest »

I've looked across the web for info but didn't find much. How can I tell the location for mfg., there isn't any indication on the frame.
The case isn'rt marked other than the number stamp on the bottom. The reel fits perfectly in the case, whether by dumb luck or design.
Thanks for the yip about completed sales.
R
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

Ron:

I think all the Coxe Do All's were made in Bronson, Michigan

Dave
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

where they were made and average dollar value!

Post by SWIM JIG »

8) :) :wink: :!: :?: :idea: cool-thumb jump USAAs for their mfg. area as far as I can tell, Dave your are correct, (Bronson Michigan! As for the worth, these are a common as they get! exception of the leather drag, it was used on ocasion for fast line let out, saved on the internal ratchet as that is the weak part on that reel! As to worth if any scratches, dents, finish wear , or rattles are found these reels go down faster in price than water over Niagra Falls! The internal drags can be modified with Shakesper metal drags that take the on off feel of the J.A Coxe Reel, also a stifer spring from a Pfluger helps on the ratchet cam. Is the handle 2 knobs or one with a counter bal.? Price on the average is I see them for sale $22.00 to as new with no use, as high as $55.00 if all paperwork and box is with them, and that elusive bottle of OIL! Your Ohio conection on Lake Erie Col. Milton lorens aka SWIM JIG
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Here's a small pictorial of the one I have, along with the brochure that came with it...no sign of the clamshell case, but need input from some Jaleoxe maven to know if they provided them. Don't know if all were Al, but this one is...but stainless spool. Now that i look it again, I'd have to upgrade it a bit over the Service...very Langley-ish!

SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

A very nice REEL!

Post by SWIM JIG »

:D 8) :wink: :!: :?: :idea: cool-thumb yay-banana jump USA John, that is one of the nicest aluminum ones I have ever seen! These reels are Spelled J. A Coxe, the scrip we see is a wee bit cinfusing!( as for other metals , the ones I see the most of are chrome or niclke ( very few of these) as they were and are still used for trolling or salt waterfishing! Some of the folks still take them t canada to Musky fish with! As for Langly, some parts from Langly will interchange! and some shakespere parts interchange! John, if that reel of yours were mine, i would put it under a glass dome like they put watches under and it would set on the Mantle! thats a fantastic well presevered reel! Your ohio Conection On lake erie col. milton lorens aka SWIM JIG ( I can see Dave O Rourke in Bronson Mich getting more Gray hairs! ha ha !
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey, glad to hear that Milt...and i was just a bit too subtle with the Jaleoxe comment, i guess :D
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

Ron,

Do you have photo of Case? Have never seen one for the Do/all, but Coxe has cases for many other reels. I have several leather cases with numbers, and am trying to see what reel these were made for.

The number on two of these cases is 5055.

Any help appreciated.

Dale.

Post by Guest »

That's the reel that I have. thanls for ther feedback guys.
Dale, i'll take pic and "E" to you...just got in from North Coast Fly Tyers Expo and am setteling back in...
R
Lillawill
Advanced Board Poster

JA Coxe Do All

Post by Lillawill »

Hello All

I speak with neither knowledge or experience as I have little of either. Only and observation. The boxes for the Do All 65C and the 25n are the same lenght. However the Do All box is a bit higher. The 25n Case fits nicely into the box and although I do not know may have been an option with the reel. The Do All however takes up the whole box so a case would not fit into it. So if they exist the must be an after market. I only have two JA Coxe leather cases and they are both clearly marked. Here are some pictures. I need practice posting pictures.