Looking for older brass skeleton fly reels, new collection

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Larry Moellman
Frequent Board Poster

Looking for older brass skeleton fly reels, new collection

Post by Larry Moellman »

I've been looking at the reels I have, and figured out that I don't have a clear definition of what I collect, so many different kinds, shapes, company's, all just a big mix-up. Soooooo, after much thought, (that didn't take long), and consideration, I've decided to put my reel collecting effort into collecting older skeleton fly reels, brass, steel, nickle, whatever, as long as they are the old skeleton type. I don't have but a couple, so just about anything is open season for me. Any help by any orca members would be very much appreciated! Or any leads of the whereabouts of old skeleton fly reels would be also appreciated! Also, you collectors that collect the old skeleton's, any info from you would be great also. Sure have done a bunch of blabbing here, so better not take up anymore space. Thanks in advance for any help on "The New Collection! Larry Moellman, Missouri
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

Great Idea Larry. You can amass a large amount of them
for a minimal amount of money and have a neat collection.
Here is a picture of some to drool over .

Bill Land and Richard Lodge seem to be the expert on this
sort of things. I am sure they will get you headed in the
right direction.
Good Luck and keep up posted.
"H"
Larry Moellman
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Larry Moellman »

Wow Harvey, that is one impressive collection! I can see I have a long way to go. Thanks for sharing the picture! But, a big part of the fun of collecting, is the hunt! Thanks again, Larry
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Larry, I sent you a pm - I have 3 for sale
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Skeletons? Somebody say skeletons????

Post by Richard Lodge »

Larry, my sympathies. :(
Skeleton style fly reels make a great collection, as you can see from the fine shelf Harry showed in his photo. Lots of varieties, some easy to find, others, scarce as the proverbial hen's teeth. You'll have to go to the mountain and climb it, bowing and scraping to the king of all skeleton fly reels, Bill Land, for advice on uncovering the rarest and most precious skeletons. I do have such reels for sale from time to time and would be happy to give you a heads up. Matter of fact, I think I see a nice little Kalamazoo Surprise over in the corner, looking for a new home.
By the way, you'll need to keep this our little secret. If too many people start collecting these reels they might catch on and then we'll have to hunt you down and string you up by your click button, so to speak.
:wink:
Larry Moellman
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Larry Moellman »

Richard, I can't sleep at night, thinking of all the old skeleton fly reels, out there in the cold, wanting a nice warm home to live in. I want to give them that nice warm home. I've talked to King Bill, and hopefully some of his reels, also want to come live with me. I have one space, especially saved for a Kalamazoo Suprise reel. I used to live on a farm, and every once in a while, out of the chicken house, there would come a chicken with
teeth, so hopefully, a reel such as the chicken will come out of the woodwork to live in my warm home. Thank you for the message, and hope to hear from you again soon. I was told that there were 2 masters of the skeleton reel empire, Bill Land and Richard Lodge, but I wasn't told who lived the the highest on the mountain, but now I guess I know! Thanks, Larry, (the lowly beginner skeleton reel collector)!