Eagle Claw Stream & Lake

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Eagle Claw Stream & Lake

Post by Charged »

Hello Guys, I recently started a tear down of a Eagle Claw Stream and Lake reel that has defiantly seen it's better days.

I know it doesn't look like much, but when in good condition I always thought these were beautiful reels. So just for fun, I'm looking to restore this one for my own collection. I almost have the reel fully dis-assembled, but am stuck with removing one part. I would like to remove this drive gear from within the bushing.

Does anyone know how this piece is locked into place? I have been playing around with it, and just can't figure out how to remove it from the brass bushing. Also, I'f I am unable to remove it, does anyone have any ideas to share on the best way to clean, and re-lubricate this drive gear while it still remains in the bushing?

Please Note: ***(I had mistakenly posted this in the reel talk section a little while ago, but deleted that 1st post and re-posted it over here where I thought it's content would be more appropriate)***
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hi, Mr. Charged: I blew up your pics and stared at them, but I can't offer much help. i doubt if anyone has pulled that apart, if Don Champion hasn't piped in.

I will hazard a guess that it's press fit together and isn't intended to break down. If it were mine, I'd force solvent through it, lube it well and put it back together. From here, it doesn't look like it's a problem.

..Hope this qualifies as empathy, if not help..
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I looked up the parts schematic and list in the library file and it looks like that part is available as an assembley and is probably pressed in as it has 4 ball bearings. I would say it's best to just flush it out and oil it. Of course I don't know a great deal about spinning reels, especially the closed face ones.
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

Thanks for the replies. I worked on the reel for a bit more today, and decided to leave the drive gear in the reel. I'm soaking the assembly in some solvent.

I should have it all done in a week or so.
g,h. block
Advanced Board Poster

Post by g,h. block »

that looks like an 88A model that has a snap ring that you spread with a snap ring pliar and lift off over the gear and the one piece gear and shaft will easily push out of the bushing to the front of the reel.------gene
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

I made some progress tonight. The colors didn't turn out to be an exact match but I don't want to buy any more paint for a 5$ reel. I Couldn't resist assembling it some, just to see what it will look like.

I put on 2 base coats, and 3 Clear coats. I left the inner rim, and foot bare to prevent visible chipping in the future. Both have clear coats.

I got further than I thought, and might be done with it by the end of the weekend.

This will be a nice looking reel for my own collection when it is finished. When It was purchased it was locked up, and the whole internal cavity was filled up with grease that turned into a solid and froze up the reel. All that grease did preserve the internal workings pretty well.

*** Edit: I got her finished up, I will oil it up in a week or so to give the paint time to fully cure, and the reel will be ready to fish .

Image Image
dahut
Big ORCA Fan

Post by dahut »

Pretty little thing, aint it?

nice job :)
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

You did a really wonderful job with that reel. Congrats!

-- Dr. Todd
TaylorTuckey
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Eagle Claw Stream & Lake

Post by TaylorTuckey »

I'm working on a 88a myself, but the anti-reverse seems to roll freely. I've had nothing but issues fixing this problem, any ideas?
~Chris
~
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

TaylorTuckey wrote:I'm working on a 88a myself, but the anti-reverse seems to roll freely. I've had nothing but issues fixing this problem, any ideas?
~Chris
~
Possibly there's a part missing or broken? The lever only rotates about 90deg.
There should be the AR catch dog (if that's the correct term) itself and a wire spring inside the cover. The dog pivots on a post. One end catches the AR gear teeth and the other contacts the round disc on the AR lever. The round part of the AR lever inside the cover should have a tab that bottoms against the end of the dog at one extreme. The spring allows the dog to ride over the AR teeth when engaged.
Sorry, I don't have a pic that would show what I'm describing. Can you post a pic of what yours looks like?
TaylorTuckey
Big ORCA Fan

Post by TaylorTuckey »

Sorry about my late reply, have the whole anti reverse set up as it was, save the spring. In that case, I am using another that I made. Not sure if it's too long it short, perhaps it's too thick?
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

Wow, I was just browsing around tonight out of curiosity, and was surprised to see this thread. This is one of the first reels I undertook a attempted refurbish, Its still siting in my display cabinet to this day (this was one of my starter reels). For me its a keeper. I have since worked on many others, Too many for me to count. It was interesting to see this old post pulled up again. This reel still looks exactly the same as in the photos.

I might be one of the few who could help answer your question, not too many people would collect these. I hope you see this, and the photos help. The Anti-Reverse is really weird, and spring loaded. Let me know if these photos help you out. I still think this is a beautiful spin-caster!

Its interesting to see how the qauntum hotsauce grease has separated after 6 years of idle activity.