Line Guide Sticking

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Zbeast2009
Advanced Board Poster

Line Guide Sticking

Post by Zbeast2009 »

I have some problems with the line guides sticking to one side. One is the Bronson Lashless and the other is a Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 4600C3.
Mostly concerned about the Abu cause it wasn't doing this earlier today when I was tinkering with it. (It had stopped everything, the only thing was you could turn the handle and nothing would go. So I took the side plate off and looked inside. Saw nothing so replaced it and TADA!) It worked, but now the line guide sticks when it reaches the left side until a helping thumb touches it.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Generally when the line guide wants to bide its time at one end of the threaded shaft (sometimes called a "worm gear") it is time for a new pawl, or a new threaded shaft or both. Closed examination of the threaded shaft grooves under magnification will often let you locate the problem. These problems are almost alway fixed by replacing these two parts and prevented in the future with regular lubrication.
Zbeast2009
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Zbeast2009 »

That's what I was afraid of. I don't want to replace them, but I want to sell the Abu Garcia. haha. My Lashless however is just a paperweight. It grinds and is hard to turn. (Not good shape..)
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Re: Line Guide Sticking

Post by fishbugman »

Zbeast2009 wrote:So I took the side plate off and looked inside. Saw nothing so replaced it
Same thing the guy who does my brain surgery keeps telling me. He keeps seeing nothing and keeps replacing it with nothing. The air in my head gives me headaches. Maybe I should get a second opinion or go to a professional? :wink:
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

A cork in one ear and a vaccum cleaner to the other will eliminate that nagging air. Have a second cork ready and plug that gaping hole! :lol:

Mr. Beast...A Long-shot...is the little screw underneath tighten down fully. Maybe it's worked loose a bit? Wild shot.
Last edited by Rick H on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zbeast2009
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Zbeast2009 »

Rick H (AutoFly) wrote:
Mr. Beast...A Long-shot...is the little screw underneath tighten down fully. Maybe it's worked loose a bit? Wild shot.
Just call me Zack. :) And I checked the screw.. Tightened it down, didn't help. Scrubbed it, didn't help. Took it out, cleaned it, replaced it, still not helping.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Sorry pal...it's either a worn pawl or the worm gear.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Put some good oil on that worm gear and around the pawl, then add some grease to the worm gear. With the reel upside down, work the line guide back and forth with the crank. The boyz are right re potential worn pawl, but sometimes it's just a dry pawl..if you get some lube in there it might behave.
Zbeast2009
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Zbeast2009 »

Rick H (AutoFly) wrote:Sorry pal...it's either a worn pawl or the worm gear.
Looked closer at the worm gear and I think thats it. One of the points in a to turn it around is worn down and I think that is it.
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

If you need some new parts for the Lashless, let me know. I have several parts kits with new old stock parts that fit those later model Bronsons. My email is

Thanks for the tip, Rick. It worked so well I did it twice. I didn't need the second cork since the vacuum cleaner nozzle suctioned all the way in and stuck on the inner side of the first cork! Just a tad uncomfortable to sleep on my side now, but I can live with that.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

LOL!...yer one sick puppy! I like puppies. :lol:
Zbeast2009
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Zbeast2009 »

LOL. You guys are hilarious.. Thanks for the offer about the Lashless parts, but that baby ain't coming back. Not in my hands anyway.. I washed it a little, but I like it sitting on my desk best. :wink: