Drag Washers for Williams Drag?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Drag Washers for Williams Drag?

Post by Rick H »

Need help locating 3 replacement Drag washers for the Williams Drag on a Pflueger Oceanic, 350 Surf Caster. Web Site? Shop? Make 'em? Material? Insight? Help!?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Rick...thought I'd post this information here so others might also see if they need the info. Here are the measurements and Care and Feeding instructions for a Williams drag that I have:

There are 4 drags that come with the kit...three wide and one narrow:

wider drags have an OD of 1.21"; ID of 0.73" and thickness is 0.035"
narrow drag is 1.0" OD; ID =0.73" ; and thickness is again 0.035"

These appear to be made of layers of linen (micarta). I'm going to see if I can turn some of these out on the new lathe...good exercise and will repay you for the cork!

Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Great Stuff John! Sure glad you had that NIB one laying around! The pics you took and the way you layed this out, is perfect. Much appreciated! Any idea where a guy can put his hands on some "Micarta"?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

It's in my lathe at the moment. Let me see where I stand at the end of the day. Regardless, I'll send you some to play with. It could be that a few Pflueger-ites that read this might be able to better ID the material...maybe it's something a bit different, but sure looks like impregnated (stop laughing, Rick) linen.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Cool...I'll sit tight. I love experiments anyway. I gotta agree with you on the material...it makes sence.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, that was a learning experience...I think I'll know how to do this when i do 10 more. At any rate, I think these will be passable with a little fine tuning, Rick...I'll leave that to you! In the mail tomorrow...

Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

How in the...? Now there's no way you layed those up today. You must have some bar stock at hand, which you cut and drilled. Either that or you're Santa Claus!

Wow! Way cool ! I just finished the reel...(sorry 'bout the pics)

Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

John - let me know if and when you need some machining tips. Micarta or linen based phonelic (same thing) is a great bearing surface ofr slow moving parts when well oiled. Washers like those are best made from sheet material rather than round stock. It has to do with the way the material is laid. Oh yes, one of the drawbacks is if it's not oiled it tends to swell when wet, even with humity. Not much but enough to mess you up.
Don
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

thanks for the tips, Don...wish you were closer so I could look over your shoulder! These were made from sheet stock, not bar...but that's good to know. As I was cutting away to get the diameter right, I was thinking how much easier it would be if I have bar stock!

Rick...take heed to what Don's saying about oiling these guys. I think the Williams drags were normally bathed in oil, so it may be advisable to pre-soak them and let them swell before putting it together...does that sound reasonable, Don?

OH..and nice clean-up job, Rick!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Both of ya...any particular oil...for the bath?

I gotta quit buyin' junk and save up, for one good one!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Yes, pre-soak them in oil by all means. Any oil should work but perhaps a light reel oil would probably be best.