Hello from Newbe and query reg. Pflueger Autopla

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
tommydog
Big ORCA Fan

Hello from Newbe and query reg. Pflueger Autopla

Post by tommydog »

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and first of all I would like to congratulate you all to this fine knowledge base you are all contributing to.

My question regards a Pflueger Autopla that I recently aquired. Can I open this reel without the danger of having the spring mechanism exploding all over the place ?

thank you very much for any hint...

Tom
tommydog
Big ORCA Fan

just found it out. Here's how it goes

Post by tommydog »

for those of you interested to know :

1. Unscrew 4 slotted screws on the back of the reel.
The 2 that are attached to the foot
Then locate the 2 pillars that do NOT correspond to a protruding
screw on the front of the reel. Unscrew these 2 on the back.
Do NOT unscrew the ones with the corresponding knurled screws
on the faceplate.
2. Unscrew the two knurled screws on the face(with your fingers if
not too tight)
3. You can now take the reel apart. The front will hold the foot and
two pillars. The back will hold 2 pillars.

It's these 2 pillars still attached to the backplate, that hold a plate onto the inside of the back. This plate covers the spring housing. If you don,t want to clean the inside, just leave them on. Otherise carefully unscrew the pillars and ever so careful take off the inner plate. This uncovers the spring.

That's it
Tom
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Bob Miller should chime in when he sees this...I'm sure he's got an answer for you!

-- Dr. Todd
tommydog
Big ORCA Fan

well, to be honest...

Post by tommydog »

my misery is not over. :(

unfortunately I found one of the face-screws broken. The broken bit is stuck in the pillar. And I can't get the head-part of the screw out. No idea how to. It is loose, but it won't come out of the faceplate.
If push comes to shove, I have to fix the screwhead with a tiny drop of superglue to stop it from jiggling about.
It does not disturb the integrity of the construction. The reel is absolutely sound. But I know it and I am a bit anoyed with it.
If I ever part with it, it would have to be pointed out.
But I don't I want to part, because its such a lovely looking reel with its brown rims.
Any idea to help me out of this would be highly appreciated..
Tom
mortepa
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mortepa »

I ended up using my smallest drill bit to drill inside the screw a quarter inch or so. Then I used the next sequentially larger bits until it was large enough to get a small flat head screwdriver in the hole. I tapped the screwdriver with a mallet, which makes an indent in the base of the hole. I was then able to remove the screw using the flat head.

There are actual tools you can use instead of my jury-rigged, screwdriver pounding method.

http://www.amazon.com/58-0670-6-Piece-E ... roduct_top

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SW10 ... 639&sr=8-1