Handle Knob Replacement

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Handle Knob Replacement

Post by Wayne B. »

I hope my command of the English language is good enough to ask this question.

I have had several reels, both bait-casters and fly-reels, that needed a knob replaced. The stems or rods for knobs I am aware of are pressed and staked into the handle or spool face in the case of fly reels. I don't see how I can take the stem out and replace it unless there are knobs out there someplace that are threaded and screwed rather than staked. I am working on an old spider fly reel presently and would like to scavenge a knob from an old bait-caster. Any one aware of any handle knobs that are screwed rather than staked? Or is there any other solution I am missing?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

this is a problem we all have. If you're Don Champion or other person with good metal skills, you just lop it off and re-peen it after putting on the new handle and shaft. With the oldies, it really out to be put back original and if you to use a screw and nut, it's not going to be right. Some of them can be knocked out and re-pressed in by most of us. Examples are the Medalist reels which have plastic handles that during one stage, degraded with regularity. One alternative to removing the whole thing is to remove the degraded grasp, then make a new one and cut it in half...then glue it back on together around the shaft that the grasp rides on. However, most just have to be cut off and re-mounted. thus, the usual answer is to fine a replacement handle. Don't know if this helps, but lots of empathy!

ps: Don may be coerced into helping with these, as might some others!
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

John:

Thanks for your reply. My current issue is with an old fly reel, where the metal I am trying to attach to is relatively thin. So, I am still interested in finding a knob and shaft that might work.

Forget my flyreel, you made a couple comments that intrigued me. It is possible to be "knocked out then and re-pressed in by most of us". I have several retired handles that maybe could be resurrected.

Please, please, let me know how to do that or let me know who can do that for me. I am an old retired mechanical engineer who thinks he can do almost anything, but restoring reel handles is not in my expertise. I can rebuild a transmission, but I don't know how to do little finesse things.

Thanks so much for your response.

Wayne
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Wayne, Medalist spools are no doubt easier than the old skeleton reels. you just have to get a punch or blunt nail on the back of the grasp spindle from the back side.then, put a hole the size of the grasp in a block of wood that will fit tightly around the grasp and flat against the face of the spool so that you won't bend it when you apply pressure. Then, you can mount in a vice so that when you tighten the vice, it will apply pressure on the punch and push out the spindle. I'm sure this is clear as mud, but maybe I can come up with a pictorial.

Take some pics of your particular problem and maybe someone will have a 'best' solution to get it fixed.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

before you go ripping out medalist handle posts, try a one-Pfoot replacement handle - they work great

http://www.onepfoot.com/handles2006.htm

Bill is out of pocket right now, but check his dealers
http://www.onepfoot.com/dealers2006.htm

they look *D.A.M. reel*ed sharp

I've also used them successfully on other reels

sitting next to the faux-ivory OnePfoot handle I installed in this Dingley is a canadian-made replacement handle, which can be found on ebay

http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif ... 0669728125

he also sells them in threes.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

So, Ron...do you cut off the top of the post, then press-fit that nipple back over after installing the grasp?

("ripping out"...?...that was a little harsh, ron :D )
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

john elder wrote:So, Ron...do you cut off the top of the post, then press-fit that nipple back over after installing the grasp?
yes, that is exactly how it works with a medalist post - I put the end nipple on with a c-clamp, and can press it to the exact proper clearance.
But I also use the handles on reels with screw spindles, and drill/cut/sand them to size.
The owner of the Dingley was delighted with the fake ivory