Plastic Sideplate re-condtioning

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Abuadmiral
Frequent Board Poster

Plastic Sideplate re-condtioning

Post by Abuadmiral »

Hi
I have found some external plastic on reels, suffers from UV radiation .
Is there any spray or rub on product which can be recommended to bring back the original colour perhaps by removing a small part of the surface that is discoloured ?
thanks
Wayne
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Wayne...Just my humble opinion...based on experience. CAUTION when dealing with plastics! I'd truly like to see a pic or two as an example of the plastics you are talking about. Each case is gonna be different.

1) Armorall will bring back most of the color, but it will never be "as new". - Please Don't try this - 2) thin plastics...LEAVE ALONE. 3) thicker/heavier plastics can be buffed and returned to an original sheen...but I wouldn't recommend that approach, without some serious practice behind ya (using scrap pieces).

Post a pic or two...that'll help.
Abuadmiral
Frequent Board Poster

Cleaning

Post by Abuadmiral »

Hi Rik
Thanks for the warning.
I have tested so many things (Including Armoral and many professional polishes) on a wrecked piece to no significant result.
It always looks hopeful during the process but always comes back to the dull whiteish finsh when dried.
I guess its like our skin after 60 years in the tropical sun.
I will try buffing on the old piece I have.
cheers
Wayne
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Try using a light polishing compound like they use on cars and a medium speed buffer. Takes a light, gentle touch. To fast and...ya melt the plastic.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I have always used Novus Scratch Remover on my plastic side plates. I use the No. 2, or Fine, which removes fine scratches and haziness. I have never seen any residue remaining after use.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Wayne...your question has plagued me all day. Couldn't figure out how to explain the possibilities. AND...worse, don't have a reel with plastic side-plates available...nor any other junk plastic lying around. So as I'm sittin' here thinkin' it thru...VOILA! A stack of old unused "Floppy Disks" sittin' right in front of me! Floppies are very light plastic, so a gentle touch is imperative. Didn't spend much time on this...but it should give you an idea of what's possible. Bear in mind these were identical disks to begin with and I didn't put any real "final finishing" time into this. Phil's suggestion on the Novus, would remedy those small scratches you see. (Oh and these were "matted dull/flat finished" disks to start with)

Abuadmiral
Frequent Board Poster

Thanks

Post by Abuadmiral »

Much appreciated comments guys!
I will try the suggestions of Novus and some car pollish with a felt roller on a tiny handheld polisher
cheers
Wayne