Celebrating The Sun!!! FINALLY

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Celebrating The Sun!!! FINALLY

Post by Rick H »

1st day of true sunshine and a temp. over 70 means...it's time to celebrate! My way, is to bring a little sunshine to an otherwise dark and dreary REEL.

This one is for Harvey Musselman (NFLCC), as a favor. It's a Pflueger Templar 500. It would go nice next to my 450 Harv! :shock: :wink:

A link to ALL of the Pics "Before & After"...
http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif? ... -reel.html

Grips Oiled - Helps a little...
Last edited by Rick H on Sun May 22, 2011 10:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Who would have thought that such a pretty reel was hiding underneath that weathered , black painted looking dunger . Great job Rick !
Does anyone know what magic there is to revitalize the handles too? Or does the return favour not go that far :wink:
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

I was thinkin' about it (a good laquer bath), but didn't want to go there without the owner's permission. And he left town till next week.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Hmm, that's interesting about the handles. They look like painted wood whereas they are usually hard rubber. Probably just never noticed that they were sometimes different.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I think what you may have is an attempted reconstruction of broken grasps and the rubber color and texture just don't match. It's the look you get when you do a rubber sideplate repair with rubber "dust" and glue. If it was something on the surface, I'm sure Rick would have made it go away!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

It's like dangling a yarn ball... :wink: Here is one close-up. And the rest of the pics you can get to via this link... http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif?rr&knobs.html

No re-construction on these knobs. Both sets are factory mounted. The peens on the backside are "clean"...not messed with.

Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

From everything I can see, comparing the 500 knobs to the distinctly "Hard Rubber" 450...the knobs on the 500 are NOT wood nor are they Hard Rubber. There's no "grain" at all (indicative of wood) and there are no mold lines on the inside cup of the grip (indicative of the hard rubber process).

There are what appear to be mold lines, running the length of each knob though. The finish (under the paint) to me is very similar to modern day composite. However, I don't see these knobs as modern re-contructions. Every other thing about the knobs, the handle base, shafts and peens say that these are age & wear appropriate with no tell tail "rework" marks anywhere.

Interesting side note: I oiled the grips, like you would with hard rubber. They came out "black", not chocolate brown like hard rubber.

Sure would be neat to confirm the origin of these odd-balls.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I thought I read somewhere that hard rubber plates and grips were turned on lathes from blocks of rubber.