sideplate repair on JVH reel

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

sideplate repair on JVH reel

Post by john elder »

Tom DuRose had this nice little Julius that was in good shape except for some nasty sideplate loss on the bottom. It came out pretty nice after a bit of patch and polish. Patches are clearly evident...perhaps a Heitmanian-type polish would make for an improvement, although it should never fool anyone...note the VL&D logo on the faceplate:

Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

John...Nicely done! I love seeing someone take the time to repair reels like this. It gives them continued life and if nothing else, the opportunity as display examples in someone's collection. Short of your hard work...reels left damaged, will probably get thrown away. THAT is a waste of history to me. Kuddos!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, Rick...it's such a shame about this little reel...usually, the metal is showing lots of history, to put it gently...and this one, even without a super polishing, cleaned up almost new, other than those divots out of the sideplates. The trouble with these reels and other reels like the Pflueger Avalon is that they just didn't bounce very well :( ...one good trip to the deck and that was about it for those sideplates. Obviously, the later add of a metal rim gave them at least 2 or 3 drops before permanent damage ensued.
stevenm
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stevenm »

I didn't know that could be done, very nice!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

John,
What material did you use for the patch? I've tried filings from old end plates mixed with 30 minute epoxy (always get a brown look) and crushed charcoal (not quite the right shade of black. I thought next time I would try ground car tire.
You needed to finish that off by melting black crayon into the small left over crevices. It holds up and is virtually invisible.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Don, that was done as i showed at Waupaca, using a fine file and and old sideplate. Fine dust mixed with 5 minute epoxy and dropped in, then worked with file, sandpaper, and steel wool...the latter laced with Simichrome. that agent plus polishing will darken the patch to make a better match...but I like your idea of using "black wax" to finish it off. I'll recommend that Tom do that and see if it comes out a bit better.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Uhhhh guys...Do ya'll have a box of Crayola Crayons? Is Don burnin' the tires off his Hotwheels again?! - :lol: - You boys worry me sometimes!