Sugestions for cleaning a Kosmic reel?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
toma
Big ORCA Fan

Sugestions for cleaning a Kosmic reel?

Post by toma »

I have inherited an older Kosmic reel dated prior to 1910. I would like to clean it up and have plenty of elbow grease on hand but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for any cleaners or polishes to use? I don't want to use anything that will damage the metal.

http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif?[at]N ... hotostream

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hi, and welcome! You have a great reel there! A nice piece of history. As such, I would not recommend a real aggressive treatment for cleaning and you can start with the simplest approach and continue until you are happy with how it looks and runs.

From what I can see, a lot of the crud on that reel will come off with a good soap and water wash. Dishwashing detergent is one of the best cleaners and coupled with a good toothbrush, will take care of a lot of the dirt.

Start by taking that old line off of there...nasty things happen under that line and it's keeping you from getting it really clean. Then soak the reel for a bit in soapy water...15-20 minutes should get things loosened a bit. then over the sink, take the toothbrush...or other soft bristle brush, and take off all that you can, with clean water rinsing. then dry the reel as best you can.

to do it properly, you should then take the reel all apart so you can get it thoroughly dry, cleaned inside, and well lubricated. the most important thing to have for this is a really good set of screwdrivers...the last thing you want is to muck up those screw heads. If you have trouble getting them loosened, come back..that's another thread.

Recommended lubes are Quantum hot sauce grease and oil. You can get those at Bass Pro Shop for sure and on-line.

If it's clean enough for you at this point, you can put it back together and quit. If the nickel silver has a lot of tarnish, then my favorite polish is Simichrome...many others will work, but that's a good one. Put it on the metal parts and let it sit for a few minutes, then polish off with a clean rag. Repeat 'til you're happy.

There are even higher levels you can take the polishing, but most collectors do not like highly polished reels...use your judgement and take it to the point that pleases you.

Be sure and let us know how it turns out! Pics, please!

john

PS: that's a really interesting brake you have on there! It looks similar in action to a Gem brake. What is on the underneath side of those side arms that make contact with the spool to slow it down? Many early ones used wood as a pressure plate while others used leather.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Yes, a great and classic reel.

I agree with John in that this is a reel worth taking the time to do it carefully. Stripping the line off is the first step, as it will reveal the status of the spool (which often carries the heaviest corrosion).

My suggestion is to follow Dr. Elder's advice but when you disassemble, leave the reel apart and shoot some new photos and post them here. That way we can watch your progress AND make give any advice at the disassembled stage.

Looking forward to seeing before-and-afters!

-- Dr. Todd
toma
Big ORCA Fan

Post by toma »

The underside of the brake is leather. Not in the greatest of shape. Thanks a lot for the advice so far. I have taken the line off and I have a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers so I'm good there. I will be posting photos of the progress.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Dang! Now I owe Heitman a half Euro! :D

We look forward to the show, Toma! Good Call from Dr. Todd...I got sidetracked and forgot to mention taking pics, especially on the way in! I don't imagine the innards are very complicated, but my digital camera has saved me a lot of grief in putting things back together!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Leather huh?! John...that's another 50 Euro Cents! :lol:

I totally agree with my esteemed colleagues' on the potential cleaning process...soft and slow. I would recommend DAWN for the dish washing soap. It seems to cut the grease and oil better than others. And ya might make that water medium hot, not blazing hot.

Simichrome will do the job, as John outlined. Another product is Maas. If you go that route, pick the "All Metals" version. A 4 oz. tube will last forever. Like Simichrome, you don't need much...apply sparingly.

Definitely, take 'er apart. You're going to want to clean those internals and look for damage. Pics will help us all. The more the better.

GREAT REEL!

LEATHER...IMAGINE THAT! :wink:
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Bumped up with the last post.