What Am I Doing Wrong ...

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

What Am I Doing Wrong ...

Post by reelsmith. »

Everything was fine with this Pflueger Buckeye reel until I decided to open it up and oil it ...now the drag does not work. The click is fine.

When I go to take the reel apart the drag spring catches on the drag switch ...which I think it is supposed to do. Yes?

Is the spring supposed to fall inside of the switch where the arrow is pointing?

I've done some pretty complicated repairs and on the surface this seems stupid simple ...but I can't get it to work.

Its making me crazy !

Dean.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Dean...didn't want to see this question just continue to "hang here" without a peep of reply. I've looked and looked, and for the life of me can't seem to put the puzzle together in my head. I've also followed your footsteps (I assume) and surfed the net...no luck. It's gotta be nothing more than simple positioning of the spring. I'll keep searching.
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Dean, There should be part of the brake on the internal plate for that side. Sometimes you need to move the brake knob while putting the headplate on the make sure the little piece of spring steel gets where it needs to go. Try putting the headplate on at an angle and moving the knob as you do it.

Sorry for the bad explanation but if you still have trouble I can try to make a picture tutorial tonight. Those brakes are a pain sometimes.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Take the handle off the gear & put the gear on the stud. Next put the cover plate on slighty counter-clockwise to the post ends. Press down slightly while turning clockwise. It's a pain to get it rigtht. Usually takes several tries. Removing the handle gives you a hair more room to turn the cover plate.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Thanks guys.

I'll try again tonight ...after some wine.

:-)

I was about to throw the reel out the window last night. It looks so simple and it is infuriating that I can't make it work.

I assume once the reel is back together that with the switch back, the drag is off and when pushed forward it is on. Yes ?

Dean.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Dean, it looks as if when the reel is assembled, sliding the brake button to the left should push the brake spring toward the spool.

The spring should slide in the groove around the "switch," as you indicated. Maybe you could remove the external screw and washer from the switch, position the switch so the spring is in the groove, then carefully replace the headcap while checking to be sure the threaded hole in the switch remains visible in the headcap slot. Then replace the brake screw and washer.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Here's where things stand ...no wine yet.

I took Don's suggestion and removed the handle, which does make things easier.

When I assemble the reel with the switch in the forward position, it sits on top of the spring and engages the drag. When I then move the switch back the drag disengages. Then when I try to reengage by pushing the switch forward nothing happens.

Then when I pull the headplate straight off, the spring is clearly in the slot of the switch ...but its not doing anything.

Should I have the wine before or after I throw the reel out the window?

Dean.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Let's start over. Dean, in your first pic showing the headcap removed, is the pin on the relaxed brake spring contacting the spool flange or not? In other words, in its "default" position, is the drag on or off?

Maybe we're getting this backward. Is it possible that when you originally removed the headcap, the switch bent the spring out far enough to make a difference?
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

I would recommend a very nice vintage Cabernet!

Keep at it after!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Steve is right. The brake should be engaged when the cover plate is off. You'll have to remove the brake spring and bend it slightly so that the brake is tight against the spool. DO NOT put the cover plate on with the brake button forward!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Wayne B. wrote:I would recommend a very nice vintage Cabernet!
I went with a 2008 Rodney Strong.

The brake spring is not removable, it is riveted on.

The default position appears to be drag off as the spring does have enough ...uh ...um ...spring to hold the pin against the spool.

Right now it looks like the switch pushed forward engages the drag (pushes the pin into the spool). If it is suppose to disengage it (and that may well be the case), then I guess the spring got bent.

As a side note: the switch is not removable. Unlike a Meek/Talbot/Heddon where the post on the switch is rectangular and it slides in a rectangular opening in the headplate, the post is round on this reel. So, if you turn the screw on the switch the whole works go round and round.

Dean.

Edit:

Took a time out to watch a movie.

Playing with the reel a bit more I think what happened was the spring may have been engaged in the switch when I first opened the reel and when I pulled the headplate off I bent the spring (pulled it out from the frame and it should be more flush).

So, I think I need to figure out how to bend it back.

Can anyone confirm this by opening one of these and checking?

Last Edit Before Calling It A Night:

I bent the spring as best I could so that the drag is on with the switch disengaged. This is clearly the way it is supposed to work. When you push the switch forward it lifts the spring and disengages the drag.

Now I just need to figure out how to better bend the spring without popping the rivet.

These things always seem more clear after a few glasses of wine.

Maybe I should drink at the office?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

how to better bend the spring
A method that's worked for me: Remove the headplate, or remove the tailplate and spool. Slide a thin screwdriver blade between the brake spring and headplate. The blade can be used as a fulcrum for bending the spring toward the brake-pin hole. A couple of very, very slight adjustments should do the trick.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Steve wrote:
how to better bend the spring
A method that's worked for me: Remove the headplate, or remove the tailplate and spool. Slide a thin screwdriver blade between the brake spring and headplate. The blade can be used as a fulcrum for bending the spring toward the brake-pin hole. A couple of very, very slight adjustments should do the trick.
That's exactly how I did it last night.

I'll need to get a bit more bend in it for it to work well.

Thanks to all for the help

If I figure in the cost of the wine it was only a $16 repair.

;-)

Dean.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

That was part of your problem. You must drink cheap wine (the stuff that comes in a cardboard box). Buy wine that at least has a cork in it.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Don Champion wrote:That was part of your problem. You must drink cheap wine (the stuff that comes in a cardboard box). Buy wine that at least has a cork in it.
LOL.

At $16 a bottle Rodney Strong Cab definitely has a cork.

No boxes in my wine cooler.

Cabs on top, mixed reds in the middle (Pinot Noir, Shiraz, Malbec, Zin), Champagne, whites and Sauternes on the bottom.

Dean.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

That's what I love about reel collectors! They're excellant at great displays and they collect only the best! :lol: