Oceanic Clean up

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Oceanic Clean up

Post by Jeff Johnson »

I bought this reel last month and gave it a clean up. It came out as good as could be expected , but still needs the handle re-peened and fixed. I could use a new main gear and post as this one is worn out and the reel slips when reeled. If you got one on a beater reel , please let me know. This is a Pfleuger Oceanic 100Yd reel , I dont know if other similliar models would interchange but you would think so. Before and After Pics.

The inscription on the front of the reel is what drew me to the reel in the first place. There is quite a bit of info on the internet about the Jessop family of Coronado Calif and it has been fun reading about them. The reel has alot of miles on it and at some point in his life Armand must have fished this reel a great deal.
If anyone has that gear and post please let me know , It would be great to get this working properly again. Jeff
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Oceanic Clean up

Post by Brian F. »

Nice job, Jeff, and tough size to find in an Oceanic. Looks like Mr. Jessop went a little further west than the rest of the family.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Jeff...Excellant job on that reel, especially on the spool. That green corrosion can be a bear to get off.
You gots lots of options with that handle...1) fill that knob with right sized dowel and re-drill it to fit the pin. 2) Find a knob that fits. 3) Find a replacement handle with a knob. The re-peening is pretty simple, just takes some care and focus. Very nicely done!

Here's what I beleive the handle and knob should look like...
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Thanks guys. Rick, yes, I will fix this handle and reuse it. Thank you for the idea of the dowell rod , I will do that. I have re-peened a few reels handles back on since I read the great directions you gave us awhile ago. It works great and I was able to save a few reel handles I normally would have been searching for a replacement. Jeff
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Jeff, I only now realized that the knob isn't a replacement but someone cranked the heck out of it to wear like that :shock: Just off the top of my head without checking catalogs or my example of a 100 yd model, a handle/crank from a Bond would probably fit and it looks more like those on the Oceanic line. Your reel seems to have a Pflueger handle but it's a lot fancier than the Oceanic handles - the type you find on their higher end baitcasters.
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

I cant find my 100YD Bond in this mess I call my office but the handle on Ricks is the same as the ones on my 100YD capitols. I like the handle that came on this Oceanic so I will fix it , but maybe if I locate the Bond , the post and gear will fit the Oceanic , as they are easier to come across. The Capitol is a much different design and wont work. Thanks again , Jeff
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

The one on my everlaster looks much the same...I'm guessing that would be another option. the one below is on a 150 yd everlaster...it's appr. 3 1/4 in long handle. Jeff, if you think it will work, it's yours. metal needs Heitman'd but I think it will come back.
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Thank you for the offer but the handle on the Oceanic is german silver so it wouldnt look right with a plated handle. Actually, I like the style of the handle thats on it and Im pretty sure I can fix it. I am looking for the main gear and post for the reel. I'll have to take it apart and get some measurements, Thanks a bunch , Jeff
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

yes, just as well...I compared to 100 yd Bond and it would be too big, regardless.
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

I spoke with Rick and he recommend JB weld to fill the void in the handle - it was an easy fix. I rubbed a little black paint on the wood to make it look better but not enough to make it look new. The hardest part was trying to redrill the new hole in the center of the handle that I filled. I got it pretty close and it works great now. Not a proffesional job but its alot better then it was. Heres a few pics - Thanks, Jeff
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

NICELY DONE Jeff! That looks a LOT better. Sometimes the unconventional, is just enough to tide us over for a bit. :bow:
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice job, Jeff