Quantum Hot Sauce can't be mixed with other grease brands?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Quantum Hot Sauce can't be mixed with other grease brands?

Post by Kelly L »

I just read that you should not mix the Hot Sauce oil with other grease brands. Is that correct? I have Ardent Reel Butter grease. I have the Quantum Hot Sauce oil. Last year I cleaned my fishing reels for the first time with this, and I have not taken them apart to see yet, if it made a gooey mess. Has anyone else experienced this, especially on fly reels? I just ordered some Hot Sauce grease, but I'd rather use the Ardent up, before I use the Hot Sauce grease, unless I hear differently on this board.
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Quantum Hot Sauce can't be mixed with other grease brand

Post by Kelly L »

Well for anyone looking at this point in the future...
it is a good idea not to mix the brands. I went ahead and ordered Hot Sauce grease to go with the Hot Sauce oil.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

When applying new, i have always wiped/washed off the old stuff, so haven,t noticed...sounds like you witnessed a collision?
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

John I have asked around on this question. The consensus is not to use two different brands at the same time. I always wipe off the old stuff. But what I meant was could you use say Reel Butter grease with Hot Sauce oil, on a reel? From what I have gathered via folks on the web, it is better to use Hot Sauce grease and Hot Sauce oil. I decided to purchase some Reel Butter oil to go with the grease I already had. I think I will use that on my less important conventional reels. You live and learn. It was only a year or two ago that I attempted to clean ANY reel. So I still have a lot to learn.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I have heard that the use of Hot Sauce grease will void the warranty on Shimano reels. Shimano recommends the use of their brake pad grease as a gear grease.

I should add that I have used many different oils with Hot Sauce grease and have never seen it cause a "gooey mess". Reel people should take a look at the high quality artificial gun oils made today. They are cheap compared to when similar products are bottled as reel oil.
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

Reel Geezer, at the time the local Academy only sold Hot Sauce oil, with Reel Butter grease. (they still do here, even though I mentioned it would be nice if they had Hot Sauce oil) I had not heard that Shimano will void a warranty with Hot Sauce. I wonder why? I have heard Hot Sauce is the best. I have not seen Shimano brake pad grease for sale here. I do have at least one Shimano spinning reel, it is my favorite. (Saros F) I appreciate your thoughts. What artificial gun oil are you recommending anyway? I have probably two gun oils here. I don't know if they are artificial, or not. I know some people use a light machine oil such as sewing machine oil for their reels. It is pretty cheap too. I use it under latch plates of fly reels.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I am currently using Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Oil. I got a 4.5 oz can for about $7 at Cabela's. In one test that I read, the best oil for fishing reels was Remington Gun Oil. Cabela's just happened to be out of it when I was in their store, so I bought the Birchwood Casey.

You'll probably have to search the internet to find Shimano brake grease.
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

The Remington Gun Oil is a synthetic? I may have some of that. Thanks.
Yes, I will look for Shimano brake grease on the internet, thank you!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Kelly L wrote:The Remington Gun Oil is a synthetic? I may have some of that. Thanks.
Yes, I will look for Shimano brake grease on the internet, thank you!
I'm not sure if Rem-oil is a synthetic, but it does contain Teflon. When you search for the drag grease make sure you add "fishing reel". Shimano has several greases for bikes. I also learned that they have a separate grease for spinning reels, but the drag grease also works on spinning reels. You might want to read this thread on Tackle Tour: http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/view ... 32&t=29350
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

I hear of people using Cal's grease on their reels for stripers. I just looked at that link, now I am confused. I don't need super cold weather grease. I am not sure whether to get the Permalube, or star grease. Decisions decisions... maybe I will get both soon depending on the price.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I'd get the drag grease (I already have) because you can use it on the drag washers on your spinning reel as well. I use it on all my baitcasting star drags and it is smooth. If you send an email to Shimano about reel lubing they might send you some free. It comes in a small plastic container.
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

Thanks Reel Geezer! I did not see an email for them. I guess they don't want to be bugged...hmmm. I think you are right, I've been thinking and that star drag grease sounds like a better deal. I will get this for my Saros F spinning reel.
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

I never even thought to ask, In every reel I have ever worked on, I have always used hot sauce grease, and marvel mystery oil.

Been happy with the results.
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

I like Marvel Mystery Oil. I never thought to use it on my reels though. I use Hot Sauce Oil, and Singer Sewing Machine Oil. The sewing machine oil goes under latch covers, and handles.