Glue/epoxy for bakelite

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
raumatibeach
Frequent Board Poster

Glue/epoxy for bakelite

Post by raumatibeach »

Hi, one of the posts on the inside of a penn 14/0 I bought has broken of.I don't intend using the reel but I want it to work, any ideas of how to glue the post back in place?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Glue/epoxy for bakelite

Post by john elder »

Can you post a pic? I'm not sure what internal post you mean. There are lots of parts out there for Penns and I imagine your best choice will be to replace the part, but need to see in order to help. This board will host a pic if you don't have a pic host...you just need to get the size down to the 180kb range.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

oh...I bet it's the pivot post for the free spool mechanism, eh? I hate to say that the sideplate material will be a tough one to glue and get it to hold. You can do cosmetic things, but it there is any pressure on it when throwing in and out of free spool or when cranking, it will likely pop again...still, worth a look and a few more opinions, if you can get a pic.
raumatibeach
Frequent Board Poster

Post by raumatibeach »

Cheers for the quick reply, you're bang on it's the post for the freespool. I'll try and post a pic tonight, I don't want to buy a new side plate though as it's quite faded and a new one would look a bit odd.As I said I don't plan on using it as I got two of them really cheap and plan on keeping them for display.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Try cleaning it well and use what used to be Eastman 910. The name has changed but since I am not at home I can't tell you the present name. Or any good superglue should work. Just let it set up overnight before reassembling. This stuff is stronger than one would think. The secret is being CLEAN.