main shaft screw

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

main shaft screw

Post by Kelly L »

I have a Okuma Integrity reel. I cannot get the main shaft screw to come loose. I tried to loosen to the left, then I tried it to the right, just in case it was a reverse screw. Nothing. I sprayed it with Boeshield, and let it sit overnight. It still did not loosen up. I emailed Okuma on Sunday evening, still no word from them. I am gonna have to buy a new main shaft screw now. (after I get this one off that is) I marred it up a bit trying to get it to come loose. This is very frustrating. I tried to call, but the guy was not at his desk, and I didn't leave a message. Just tried calling again, but it is after hours. I believe this screw has to turn to the left. Any suggestions on this? I have never come across a screw like this, that was THIS TIGHT.
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Re: main shaft screw

Post by Kelly L »

I called them again, and this time I got somebody on the phone. He said it was a standard thread. So that means turn to the left. I have a Chapman kit, and I used the biggest, widest screwdriver it had in it. Tried again to loosen it. I had let Boeshield sit all around the threads for hours. The tight screw came factory this way. Okuma is sending me a new main shaft screw. (this one is already marred, from the force I've put on it trying to loosen it) I am about ready to take it and have a pneumatic screwdriver put to it...but I fear it will jump, and mar up the finish on the reel outside of that screw. Are there no tips or tricks to get this screw to loosen up? What about putting the reel in the fridge for a while?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Kelly, If you don't have one, go get one of those small butane torches that you fill using the butane cans like we ex-smokers used to fill our lighters...Ronson makes one that is bitchin' for small jobs. Apply heat, then put it on an ice cube; repeat to taste. It may well be that given it's an Okuma, the former owner got tired of it working loose and put a bit of epoxy or JB Weld in there to hold it. Heat/cold should break it loose.
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

John, I am the original owner. The reel was new when I got it. I took it to my friend's house. He also tried to get it loose, and was unsuccessful. He looked on the other side, and took off some screws, to see if he could get it loose from the opposite side. He said it looked like they used Loc-Tite on the screw, and they were also pretty tight. (he said it looked like a black loc-tite was used) He told me once he bought a new reel like that, and the manufacturer used Loc-Tite, and he threw the thing away, when he broke the screw off, trying to loosen it. I am pretty well ticked. I don't have a butane torch. I am going to talk again with Okuma, and see what they say. Surely they didn't lock that screw in? It would cost me at least 20 dollars to send the reel there, and get it shipped back. This pretty well has done it for me, and Okuma, if this is the case, and they don't take care of this.
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

I am with John. I would try to put some heat to it. Some types of loctite will release when heat is applied. If you have a solder iron you could try to touch the screw head with it.
Hopefully you get enough heat transfer to get it to realease.

Good luck

Don
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

Alright, thank you Don!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Good call, Don..solder gun should also work...and do not underestimate the power of cold...switch back and forth between heat and an ice cube. That expansion/contraction often wins the day!