Pflueger Supreme Spool

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Pflueger Supreme Spool

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

I purchased this Pflueger Supreme Reel. Did what little clean up I do. I am trying to determine what the center of the spool is made of. It looks like it could be cork. Has the markings in it as if it had line solidified to the cork. It almost appears to be solidified line. (I'm afraid to try slicing it because if its cork, it's hard as a rock and I could ruin it. Any suggestions as to what it is?.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Supreme Spool

Post by john elder »

Set it on fire and check the smell, jon! :D I suspect it's very crushed cork...happened when someone piled on a load of mono?

Ps: i have nos cork inserts, so if you clean that one out, if cork, i can send you a new one
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Ok, I'll try an e-xacto knife. Not good with fire. Might set my remaining two hairs on fire and then I'd be completely bald. Thanks for the tip.

i DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF GLUE THEY USED TO USE ON THOSE CORKS BUT i THINK IT WENT BEYOND SUPER GLUE.! May need a little dynamite to get it off the spool?
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

If you mess the spool up let me know and I should have one I can send you.

Jerry
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

I think the spool will be ok. I'm still scraping cork. I thought I had everything taken apart properly. Now I found a copper washer in the area I was working. I have no idea if it is out of that reel or something completely different. Always something. Thanks for the offer though I will keep that in mind.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Jon, there is a raised place in the middle that might look like a copper washer?
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Here is what I found. Like I say it may not even be from this reel. It just kind of appeared.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Finally popped the cork! Got it re-assembled(without the washer that I don't think came from that reel). It even works. When I was a kid, I was one of the best dis-assemblers around. Unfortunately when it came time for re-assembly, alot of things ended up in the trash can. I have gotten a little better with age.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

ah, that's better! Jon, I'm still wondering where the washer was? I thought you were telling us it was around the spool shaft, but unless you are a magician, seems unlikely at this point :-]
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Nice job Jon. That spool looks great! You might want to "bread tie" that washer to the reel for now. Until you can determine whether that reel, is it's Mommy or not.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Pretty positive the washer was not from that reel. Going to attribute it to a messy work area. (I hope)