EHV 621 Redo?-Now Redone!

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

EHV 621 Redo?-Now Redone!

Post by john elder »

So, here's a question as to what the best course of action might be with this EVH 621 that I picked up from Bill Rankin. Someone has drilled out both sideplates, either to cut down on weight or to ventilate the spool...or out of boredom one winter...not clear which. At any rate, I have another 621, albeit from a slightly different era. The sideplates match well enough to use, but it's amazing the amount of variability in these reels! How VH ever made a buck with that type of variability in x-member, reel foot and spool width is beyond me! one is left to wonder which component dictated the small changes in dimension.

I have also had the experience of "fixing" some created masterpiece like this, only to find that some corner of the fishing world did such changes for a specific purpose. In which case, I wish I had never touched it! Thoughts on this one? Maybe I would best just clean it and leave as-is. Anyone purchasing such a "repaired" reel would deserve a full explanation:

comparison of this reel's foot and x-member (foreground) to that of another 621 parts reel components:

Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Re: EHV 621 Redo?

Post by Rick H »

Boy...now there's a dilema. Considering the variation noted and the un-repairable drilled side plates, I'd proceed with the swapping of the plates to save at least one of the reels, for posterity...albeit from a slightly different era. Far better to save one...and scavenge the remaining parts for future CPR candidates than lose the reel altogether. I would venture to say, that there's enough EVH 621's in circulation, that you will not dent the integrity of the collecting world via this one.

The only other option is to leave the critter as is, clean 'er up as best you can, smooth-out (even up) some of those chipped/worn air holes and hope someone likes "the unusual". OOPs! One other option! Keep 'er as an example of "what NOT to do, to a quality reel." IMHO
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, agreed, Rick...I think I'll go with the latter approach. Of the EVH reels, there are probably more 621s floating around out there than about any other, so creating a Frankenreel to add to that line doesn't make much sense, particularly when this one and the two parts reels I have are ALL from different eras with assorted small modifications and jiggles in the dimensions.

I'm gonna get this puppy back in shape this weekend and will post pics.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

One of the things Thornton Ibbotson told me when I asked him why he had multiples of 621s in all sizes was "They're all just a little bit different".

I like the bowling ball look myself.
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

With John's woodworking talent it is a wonder he has not plugged the holes with dowels for a combination look.
If you were willing to wait (could be a long time) another pair of plates may surface.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ha! I thought about that, Ray...or maybe a better choice would be Mother-of-pearl! Might as well put some lipstick on this pig!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

That's scary...I was thinking Ivory.
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Aha ! You have already given some thought to making the holes a feature instead of a drawback. Good luck ...Rick may suggest deer antler or even a mixture of plug material . Mother of pearl (pimp my reel)
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

You could always mark each hole "oil".
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Now THAT's FUNNY Don!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, I'm the only one on my block with an EVH 621 with perforated sideplates! I had to borrow a handle nut off another reel for this photo-op, but otherwise, it's turned into a neat piece and it works great! There was only one chip that could not be taken care of with a bit of bevelling on the holes and I left it...hey, even Marylyn had a mole!

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Well that actually turned out really well...considering there are multiple holes in the reel :D
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Is that a fingernail trimmer?

It looks that good you probably won't swap the side plates if a pair turn up. It still has plenty of strength left .

Another one brought back from the brink and a one of. Nice work John.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Architecturally, it's a great improvement. The HR holes accentuate and complement the holes in the star wheel and foot. They integrate the various facets of the design. And kudos for refraining from perforating the spool flanges! Their relative solidity provides an interesting contrast to the rest of the structure. :bow: EVH would have been proud.
Last edited by Steve on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Couldn't agree more! I don't think any other choice would have proved better. That's the way! REALLY NICE John! I think you'll be surprised at what that reel will bring, if you ever sell it.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks guys! ...yes, Ray, at this point i would not change out the sideplates if a set that fit came along! At the same time, i would not advocate doing this :shock:

If the purpose was to reduce weight, the fellow didn't make much headway...i weighed another 621 6/0 and it weighed 2 oz less than our holey reel.

I still can't get over how "individualized" these reels are! It's like Edward hired a bunch of machinists, gave them a prototype, and said "make it sorta like this". They all look pretty much the same, but none of the components are standardized. Not only are the x-members, stand and spool slightly varied in width, parts like the support posts for the springs on the free spool apparatus changed so that height precludes mixing and matching between reels. The handle nuts all vary amongst the 4 6/0 reels i have...i borrowed this nut from a wide body 9/0!

Of course, these reels were made over several decades, so if you looked at enough reels and knew the chronology, you might be able to track trends in these parts. one would like to think that the parts mentioned above would have been standardized in any given production year...but even at that, it would seem that to make a profit, parts like those support posts could have been standardized over the decades-long run for this reel..but they were not! Regardless, this sort of variability gives new relevance to those numbers and letters we see on internal parts. That number likely defined both an individual reel and the maker.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Re: EHV 621 Redo?-Now Redone!

Post by Rick H »

One might consider that those boys may not have, just fallen off the turnip truck. Reducing costs by machine standardization is one thing...creating individual "custom" reels that required in shop repair...might be another thing.

i.e. Reduce costs...OR...maximize profits with return "custom repairs", since each reel was a tad different. Hmmm? (wild theory only)
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I get your drift, Rick...and these reels were something the average pier jock could not afford, so there may be a bit of truth to that. Still, the same people would have come back in for repairs if the parts were standardized. Mike Farrior had the comment that they didn't standardize squat until OC took them over.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

That's not a bad call. Considering that US mass production started somewhere around the mid-19th century with companies like Singer, Colt, Winchester etc., but really didn't become normal practice until well after Henry introduced the production line. It makes some sence that not everyone embraced those approaches until well into the 30's. Maybe the Vom Hofes' were trying to limit standard parts (which would likely sell for fixed prices) and attempted to stay with the "custom theory" and priced individually and accordingly. Who knows? It'll likely remain conjecture for awhile. Maybe a long while.

I LIKE that reel John...Ya did REEL Good! Very Classy.