Question on taking Horton Meek #3 Feespool apart

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Question on taking Horton Meek #3 Feespool apart

Post by Bill Sonnett »

I must admit I have not taken a Meek apart before. Removed the crank, the four faceplate screws and the oiler covers--- nothing wants to budge. Given the value of the reel, I am reluctant to get tough with it. Am I missing something here? Any and all advce will be appreciated.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Question on taking Horton Meek #3 Feespool apart

Post by john elder »

Bill, usually that's because the drag is engaged...try loosening it up all the way...think it should slide back "toward you" on that reel...then give a turn counterclockwise and see if that works. if not, try pushing the button the other way and that may relieve the pressure...you can certainly get away with some mild tapping on the edge with a piece of soft wood, but that's not normally needed.

Note...let me modify that by saying use a twisting motion, back and forth...that will generally loosen enough to get around that drag arm.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

John the drag seems to be completely off but somethimg is holding the face plate on and I feel I'm missing some detail of dis-assembly here. I definately feel I will brake something if any more preasure is applied
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

I've run into this a few times on Horton and Meek reels. In desperation, I have taken the finest screwdriver blade I can find - I mean paper thin - turned the reel upside down, wedged the screwdriver tip into the crease between the face plate and rim as accurately as possible, and very, very, very gently tapped on the end of the screwdriver with a small hammer. You just need to get enough of the blade in to start gently wiggling the screwdriver back and forth to create a gap, then slowly start working the blade around the reel until you get sufficient separation. It's not for the faint of heart, but I've probably done this a half dozen times. If done correctly, you won't see any damage to the reel. If done incorrectly - and I got too aggressive one time - you will damage the reel.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Bill, you might soak the whole reel in mineral spirits overnight before trying as Bill M suggests...that way, if any old grease is making it hang up, that should loosen it. For a really thin screwdriver blade, you might try using feeler gauge blade like we used to set points with...some size or combination of sizes will make the fit you need to get the plate to start moving.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Or a couple very light taps on the top of a utility knife with the blade in the crevice just to get it started. Those new blades are sharp and very thin.

Tom
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

I really appreciate the suggestions. I have already tried putting a littel Kroil in the headplate seam and tapping a utility razorblade into the seam on all sides. This results in very small seperation while the blade is in there but it is still tight as a drum. I really don't know what the Freespoll mechcanism looks like and was concerned that this was the source of the problem. I have a busy couple of days and am going to let the project rest for that period untill I can give it my full attention. Ant other suggestions will be very welcome in the meantime. Thanks
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, let it rest in a baggy full of mineral spirits :-)

The free spool is just a gear that when you pull out on the stem, it moves out of engagement with the drive gear...if that is working, then it seems unlikely to be the issue...if it's not working, it's likely to be stuck in a big wad of grease...MHO!
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Actaully John the freespool function is working fine but disengages by backing up the handle rather than pulling it out. Not sure of the mechanics, but the final result is that it works in the same way a Coxe 25 does when the handle is reversed. I did not mention that this reel has obviously been used in tournament casting and is fitted with an oversized arbor and to the eye is exceptionaly clean.
Last edited by Bill Sonnett on Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ah, sorry, Bill...I shot from the hip on that without revisiting my tournament reel to verify that free spool setup. I'll see if mine will open tonight and have a look around. Given that it was set up for tournament, perhaps there are mods that influencing what's going on!
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

No one mentioned that temperature can be used to change the dimensions slightly. Would it be of any help to put in the refrig for a time. I do not have any of these type reels, but metal expands very fast, and if an uneven coldness could make a small mechanical change, it may be worth trying vs the screwdriver. Just put ice on one side for example. This should shrink the coldest side (contact side) more than the other, and maybe loosen up enough for some hand twisting.

Dale
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Okay...forget all the mumblings and false starts I spewed out above...and listen to Bill Muth...after all, he sleeps with Horton reels under his pillow!

I pulled my #3 free spool out and it had exactly the same issue, which, in a sick way, was a good thing. So, I used Bill M’s trick , using a really thin spatula to ease into the very small crack I could generate….and once that tool managed to get in the gap, the reel came right open….no obvious thing hanging it up other than the tight fit of the drive shaft and the shafts the lower screws fit in with the face plate. So, Bill S, …be brave and give it a go! Neat mechanism that lifts and disengages the drive gear from the spool….really frees up the spool to rotate!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Dale Noll wrote:No one mentioned that temperature can be used to change the dimensions slightly. Would it be of any help to put in the refrig for a time. I do not have any of these type reels, but metal expands very fast, and if an uneven coldness could make a small mechanical change, it may be worth trying vs the screwdriver. Just put ice on one side for example. This should shrink the coldest side (contact side) more than the other, and maybe loosen up enough for some hand twisting.

Dale
Good suggestion, Dale. This works for rod ferrules too so it would be worth a try.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Neat mechanism that lifts and disengages the drive gear from the spool….really frees up the spool to rotate!
The source...
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Boys, I don't feel so bad now that others have encountered the same problem. Too nice of weather at present to spend the day inside so this will be my next rainy day project The reel was running great when I received it but after removing the screws and replaced them (without successfully removing the head plate) it still ran extremely smooth if in the horizontal position or with the crank up----but with the palm plate up, there is something rubbing the spool as it rotates. I am assuming this may be related to the drag but any advice here will also be appreciated. I also assume there is no adjustment possible on the end bearings?