Leather Cases

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Leather Cases

Post by Brian F. »

We don't have a section on "prevention" so posting this here. I just know the more outdoorsman types will have some information. Over my limited years of collecting, I've noticed that german or nickel silver reels stored in leather cases have developed spots of green corrosion, especially where metals come in contact with the leather surfaces. I imagine it's a result of some chemical or salts that were used to cure or preserve the leather (tanning process?) :?: John E and I were discussing and he sees it happening with bronson and coxe reels that came with a leather case but less with Shakespeare reels. I've seen that happen to Vom Hofe reels. For that reason, I don't store my reels if I get them with leather cases. Just curious.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: Leather Cases

Post by Ron Mc »

take them out of the mildewed cases
The damp leather becomes a biohazard over the years.
Same with old line.

I will never understand people hunting down old leather cases to purchase and use.
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

I make knife sheaths out of leather but always use leather tanned with vegetable oil. it won't corrode the metal.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks for that info and welcome! I think with reels, the best plicy is to just not store them in leather cases, but it's good to know there may be a way around the problem. Of course with sheaths, you have a lot more exposure to air thus reducing the likelihood of trapping moisture and thus inspiring corrosion and mold growth.
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

No argument there, just a mention that some leather is acid tanned and is very caustic... I don't fish much anymore so my reels are either boxed or displayed.