Shakespeare Spin Wondereel spring?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Shakespeare Spin Wondereel spring?

Post by jimbofish »

Picked up a Shakespeare 1725 Spin Wondereel the other day in really nice condition. This is one of those closed-face spincast reels that hang underneath the rod. Has a small pushbutton in the rear of the body to release the line.

Disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled, except for this one part. It's a fine spring-wire loop about 3/4" in diameter with a short arm about 3/8" long sticking out radially from the loop. There's a short hook at the end of the arm. It came from the side plate assy. with the handle, drag, and main gear.

No matter how I fit it in there it seems to get caught up in the gear or the drag washers. When I got the reel it didn't turn properly because of this and it may be bent somewhat. I'm sure it has something to do with the drag pawl for the anti-reverse. There is a small slot in the anti-reverse pawl that looks like the arm is supposed to fit into. There is no anti-reverse lever as many Shakespeare spincast reels have. However, the anti-reverse works without it as the pawl drops down by its own weight as long as the reel is in the normal operating position. IMO it either holds the pawl down on the AR teeth or it holds it up for forward retrieval.

I'm stumped. A parts diagram might show how it's installed but there doesn't appear to be much info on this reel anywhere. Anyone know how this fits?
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Spin Wondereel spring?

Post by jimbofish »

So, I finally found my stash of old Shakespeare parts manuals. There are a few that have a similar spring, P10 non-reversing spring. From the tiny pic in the parts diagram, it appears that the 'arm' on the spring shoots off on a tangent to the spring, not radially. It seems to make sense that if I bend it back it might line up with the pawl. I hesitate to bend it 'cause if it's wrong and I have to bend it back again it will likely break. I'm also not sure where the loop should go in the stack of drag parts. My guess is that it goes between the side plate and the first friction plate with the anti-reverse teeth, but I'm not sure.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

It might take awhile to get some advice.

Check this http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopi ... =1&t=14461 . The SB and Elusive 23 are basically the same reel and kind of tough to find info on. Not a huge seller. Maybe Dick Braun has a schematic or reel to take apart to help you with the configuration.

Good luck!
Tom
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

Still haven't figured out how this spring fits. :(
g,h. block
Advanced Board Poster

Post by g,h. block »

that loop spring goes on the drag disc that is between the gear and anti reverse toothed wheel.----- the straight leg up and pointing forward that short right angle bend to the right would hook into the slot in the a.r. dog.

your reel has a different type of push button but my guess is that the inside parts are like these shakespeare models.-========1763 eb=======1767 -11 dh======= 1700-11 dj====1771 eb and south bend models 63a and 70. these all use that type of spring. this is guess work on my part as i dont have the schematics for the 1725.--------gene
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

I think everything you said is right on. That leaves my suspicion that the leg on my spring is bent. I'm thinking it should look like '6' or a 'P' rather than a 'Q'.
Now that you mention the 1700II, it may have that same automatic a-r with the same spring. I'll have to dig it out and see.

Thanks.
g,h. block
Advanced Board Poster

Post by g,h. block »

that spring information would be for the models i listed, on the 1725 underslung the handle would be on the left so the spring end would be bent left to hook the a.r. dog. maybe the springs dont interchange, have a good look at that and sorry for any confusion i caused.

gene
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

No confusion. I understood.

Your hints earlier led me to the solution. I took apart a 1700II and saw exactly how the spring mounted and worked. Installing the original on the 1725, it was obvious that the extension was bent. I gradually bent it back to the P shape it should be and saw that it was closer to working. A few final bends got it to the right position.

BTW I think you're correct about the spring being opposite for the underslung reels, although I didn't compare the two directly. Even the threads on the star drag are left-handed on the underslung.

Again, thanks.

Jim...
ketro227
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ketro227 »

Hello. I am having the same issue with a 1773. Can anyone post photos of exactly how to set that spring in?
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

It's been a few years since I was inside that reel and I didn't take any pics. Give me some time to look at it again to refresh my memory.
ketro227
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ketro227 »

Thanks a bunch. Appreciate the help :D
g,h. block
Advanced Board Poster

Post by g,h. block »

which date code letters are on that 1773, EJ or EH ? there is a little difference in the internal anti reverse links and the end of the wire loop that runs the link. i can put on a blow up schematic of that portion of either version.----- gene
ketro227
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ketro227 »

It's EJ. Sorry I should have clarified earlier.
g,h. block
Advanced Board Poster

Post by g,h. block »

this is the EJ , that boxed end of the spring goes up over the end of the anti reverse dog on the pin,forward cranking friction of the spring on the disc keeps the dog out of the teeth, fish takes line ,spring friction spins the dog into the teeth blocking the reverse turning and drag takes over.
ketro227
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ketro227 »

Thanks for the schematic. I'm still a bit confused as to where the boxed end of the spring actually attaches to the anti reverse dog. Do you mind drawing an arrow with MS paint or something to show where?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

It doesn't "attach" it "slides' through the square:
ketro227
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ketro227 »

Thanks. Got it working. I had to bend the spring back in place from where it was bent when I bought it.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I've been gone all week. Looks like the bent spring was the same thing that gave me fits. My guess is that a previous owner doesn't re-assemble it correctly and the spring leg gets bent.