Need help with Pflueger medalist 1496 1/2

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
keebranch
Advanced Board Poster

Need help with Pflueger medalist 1496 1/2

Post by keebranch »

Posted this on another site looking for help, but I think it might be more appropriate here. I just fetched on of these on the bay. As I have read from other forums ( clarks and Fiberglass) there are wierd problem with the plastics: cap disintegrated, the crank knob is cooked, and the drag knob disintegrated when I tried to clean in vinegar bath.
So how do I remove the drag screw now that there's little or nothing left.
Here are some photos:

Definitely getting a Pfoot crank knob, but was thinking about replacement parts for others. Your thoughts?

Les
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Need help with Pflueger medalist 1496 1/2

Post by john elder »

I've cannabilized parts reels to put these right and back in the game...that's your best bet. To get that drag screw out, you need to bend up that metal retainer that keeps in place while you turn to operate the drag...there's a groove in the drag screw that keeps it 'trapped' under that retainer. Don't bend up any more that is just necessary to allow the screw to come free when you turn it...as long as you don't bend it up too far, you can bend it back in place once you've put in the replacement drag screw.

ps: You can certainly spring for a replacement handle, but since that model has the plastic spool cover, used spools that will fit are pretty plentiful and probably cheaper and easier to just replace the spool, MHO
keebranch
Advanced Board Poster

Post by keebranch »

Hi John,
So you are speaking of the retainer which has been double riveted to frame, the last piece?
Les
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

yes, that little fellow with the two rivets...by holding the screw at that end, the drag plate moves back and forth on the threads without the screw moving when you turn it...so you need to raise that up so the screw can come free...the drag plate will "walk off" the end as you turn the screw, thus liberating it for removal
keebranch
Advanced Board Poster

Post by keebranch »

Thanks John , I'll give it a try.