Pennell 'Special' disassembly problem

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Pennell 'Special' disassembly problem

Post by jimbofish »

Trying to figure out how to disassemble a Pennell 'Special' baitcast reel I picked up the other day. It looks much like most of the other Pennell BC reels I've seen online. Silver, not a raised pillar, non-level-wind, single handle crank, large click button on TP, large drag/anti-backlash (?) button on head cover. Looks like one of the 2-screw Pennell reels about halfway down the page here...
http://luresnreels.com/montague.html

I've removed two screws at 9 & 3 o'clock on the head plate, and the handle, as well as two screws on the tail plate seat posts. There are no other screws on the exterior. I can get the posts and the head cover to move just enough to know it's not frozen, but it seems like there is still something hidden that's holding it together.

Anyone know what I'm missing here or if there's a schematic somewhere?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Pennell 'Special' disassembly problem

Post by john elder »

the drag is hanging up on the "ramp" that it rides on the pushes the drag button against the spool when engaged. Usually, if you push the drag button to the opposite setting, it will release. If too tight, then you need to loosen the adjustment screw in the drag knob a bit. Try it, wiggling the faceplate a bit and it should come off. you may have to do as Bill Muth suggested re a similar problem with a Horton reel that was posted here...I believe he slipped a razor blade or some other thin piece of metal (feeler gauges work well) in the crack between the faceplate and the sideplate and gave it a gentle twist.

Hope this helps! It will come off.

j
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

Turning the screw in the drag button doesn't seem to do anything. It just turns in either direction without much effort. It does loosen and tighten the spool when slid though.

I've tried slipping a knife in the crack and twisting, and get a little movement, but it seems like I'm bending the metal. I get movement on the 9 & 3 o'clock posts and one of the foot posts but the other foot post and the 12 o'clock post appear to be solid, like there's another screw hidden inside.

I'll let it sit with PB Blaster overnight and see if it loosens.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

With the drag in the "off" position you may have to rotate the cover plate slightly while pulling away from the reel. If there is no movement in the cover plate at all then you have to (carefully) use a knife to separate or break loose the cover plate from the front plate. The cover plate has a recess machined in it that fits tightly over the front plate. You may try heating and freezing the reel to get it to break loose. The heating process would probably be best done by submerging the entire reel in boiling water. You are on the right track but you just need to try harder. I've taken apart hundreds, possibly thousands of Montague reels.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

So it is just stuck, not held mechanically by some secret sequence of actions?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Have you removed the headcap (front cover) bearing cap?
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

No. Does it hold something together?

BTW the penetrant didn't seem to have much effect.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Eek...er...yeah...do that...
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

No. Does it hold something together?
Let's find out.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

Well, :doh: ... do I feel stupid. :oops: Honestly, I've never come across a reel where bearing cap held anything together.

At least I was right about it seeming there were more screws inside. :)
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

...reel where bearing cap held anything together.
I think the makers wanted to be sure the fisherman could clamp his reel together after he dropped the headcap screws overboard.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

After I got the reel all cleaned, oiled, and re-assembled I found that either of the bearing caps had to be backed off a bit in order for the reel to spin freely. These don't appear to be the adjustable type that have tension to hold position. They're either tight or loose and free to fall off. Given that this reel has a fair amount of use on it, I'd expect that there would be plenty of clearance.

What's the proper way to adjust this? I'm thinking a thin shim under one of the caps. Or have I mis-assembled it?

BTW this reel really spins nicely and has a feel of decent quality.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Jim, that's something I commonly see...usually, rather than play with both sides, tightening down the bearing cap on the head plate side, then adjusting the spool play with the backplate cap will work okay. I haven't addressed the issue of tightening the fit, although I guess you could shim it to do that...but then, most of the reels where that has been an issue have gone to my shelves for display, rather than to the boat to be lost. Maybe Bill Sonnett or Warren Platt will be reading this and have their thoughts on best action.