Today's Cleanup

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Today's Cleanup

Post by Paul M »

This early "S" handle reel was delivered to me last week. It was an EB "win" but regrettably not as described. Advertised as a brass reel, it turned out to be an NPB reel with 90% of the nickel missing. I decided to chalk up another one to experience and cleaned it up. I chose not to strip off the remaining nickel so the finish is sort of mottled. The interesting finds on this one are:

A) The die-stamped marking "1 0" on a hidden side of the foot, shown in last picture . (Marks scratched into the interior surfaces of the side plates and spool are "10" and "23". I assume the " 1 0" on the foot is a match to the "10" inside.)

B) The teeth on the smaller gear appear to be curved/curled (not shown), and ;

C) The knurled end-cap can be screwed off for oiling.

During cleaning, I have generally been limiting the amount of time the reel is exposed to the vinegar solution to about an hour, heated, in an ultrasonic cleaner. However the verdigris on this one was so thick that subsequent scrubbing didn't clean it off. So I put the worst parts back in for a soak overnight and it was clean as a whistle in the morning. As in one of my prior posts the copper color became prominent but I was able to tame that with Simichrome polishing steps.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

If anyone has a strong opinion on the maker/model please let me know.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Re: Today's Cleanup

Post by scottorock »

Neat reel! I think that every day that goes by that reel will look better and better now that it is clean. Father Time will step in and take care of the rest! You sure are busy up there!!