Cleaning basic 1930's or so casting reels

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
ShellCracker USA
Big ORCA Fan

Cleaning basic 1930's or so casting reels

Post by ShellCracker USA »

Hello, new to the forums and excited to get started. So as requested I searched the forum for an answer to my question, yet having a hard time following some of the great advice on cleanings.

So here is my question.

I have picked up from auctions on ebay, a few old reels. One is RED RIVER MODEL#V-7345 and another is Pflueger akron. Both have much dirt, grime and need heavy cleaning.

The akron has the brass showing through in various areas, and some rust. The red river is in worse condition. very heavy rust on the side plate, line spool, and pretty much through out. the red handles are still intact the unit operates fairly well considering the condition.

I have only cleaned up old peen reels before with wd40 and a brillo, with excellent results. However, I am not sure as to the metal chemistry of these older reels and what materials would be best to clean these up and hopefully get more life into them, as a nice shine. Since they are in bad shape, they cost me less than $10 each. I not looking on selling any of my reels, as I am starting a collection. Any advice on cleaning would be great.. I almost considered sand/bead blasting them, yet was not sure how the finish would turn out.

ShellCracker USA
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Cleaning basic 1930's or so casting reels

Another update on the Akron reel. On the side plate is says patented apr 3, 1923, other patents pending.

so is this year the reel was made, or just when they started making the reel? The handles are white, yet almost look like white (dirty white now) plastic. Any ideas?

:)
ShellCracker USA
Big ORCA Fan

Another update on the akron reel. Forgive me I am very new to this site, and I have not figured out how to add pictures or update my bio.

Anyhow, this reel looks to be pre 1925 models. I have looked at other pictures and this reel is very basic. There are no engraving designs anywhere on the reel. The only part that looks like it may have been changed is the line guide. Where most other I have looked at have a "P" engraved on the front of the line guide, this also has that... except, others I have seen without all the engravings and only one patent mentioned (not even the patent number), they do NOT have the "P". The line guide is shinier and looks "newer" than the rest of the reel, is why I suspect it is an earlier model. Just wish they put the model #s on these reels to make it easier to recognize.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Welcome to the board! You can follow the posted directions for uploading pics and give us a look at your reels....very simple to click on the box in upper left when you post, then upload files...give it a try!

Re cleaning, have a look at our redtoration page and you'll find lots of info. You can also buy our restoration handbook from "oldreelcollector" on ebay or through our orca store.

Having said all that, the quick start is to lob your reels in 1:1 white vinegar:water and come back in the morning. You can then remove most all the corrosion with a toothbrush and water...4/0 steel wool for the tough areas.
ShellCracker USA
Big ORCA Fan

John,

Thanks. I will see what I can do on getting those pics. Thanks for the info on Vinegar and water. I just did not want to ruin any finish the reel may still have. I did look through the other posts for cleaning The only problem is I am just not sure was to what kind of material the reels are made of and what will or will not damage the parts.

Thanks again Dan