Zebco 22 help please

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Deadly Mondo Bug
Big ORCA Fan

Zebco 22 help please

Post by Deadly Mondo Bug »

Hi I’m new here, from central PA. I started a Zebco and Johnson collection and have a few. I’ve done almost nothing but fly fishing my whole adult life but I developed a bad case of tennis elbow this past season. I’m still fighting it so I dug out some spincast reels and bought a few more and I have been fishing with them.

I can usually find parts lists but failed to find anything on this model 22 that I bought last week for 8 bucks in a local antique store. The rotor release (gears disengage) didn’t work exactly as I supposed that it should work. The crank shaft has a groove, like there should be a retainer there but there was none. It did have a washer and since the reel was in perfect condition, I didn’t think at first that anything was missing and thought that the washer must stay in the groove. That worked for a while but the washer worked itself out of the groove again so I installed an e-clip (that originally was not there).

It works OK this way but the spring turns with the handle and rides against the bronze bushing under spring pressure with the gears engaged, which I thought was a little weird. So what was there originally? Maybe just the washer, perhaps squeezed into the groove? It (the washer) was a little deformed. Am I missing any other parts? Should I do away with the non-original e-clip?

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Zebco 22 help please

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Be patient. Dick, Jerry, Tom M or one of the other knowledgeable Zebco guys should be along shortly to lead you in the right direction. Your photo size makes it a little difficult to see much detail. You may want to try a larger resolution & post it as a thumbnail so it can be enlarged.

Tom
Deadly Mondo Bug
Big ORCA Fan

Thanks Tom
Let's see if the image upload works this time

http://images.orcaonline.org/u/22767/Z ... 281%29.JPG
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Here's a diagram of the clutch. It sounds as if the grooves in the two shafts are slipping. Maybe the problem is just wear.
Tom M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tom M »

I believe the washer should rest against the spring and then the retainer will fit into the slot on the shaft at the outside of the washer. The spring, washer and retainer will always turn together when the reel is cranked. The washer should only be a hair larger than the diameter of the spring so it can't rub anything as it goes around. I'll send you a picture of a schematic if you need, or a picture of another one if you need also. Let me know if that will help.
Also, some models had an "e" clip that fitted into the slot and some had a hair pin styled clip that held the spring and washer in place. Either should work.
Deadly Mondo Bug
Big ORCA Fan

Tom M wrote:I believe the washer should rest against the spring and then the retainer will fit into the slot on the shaft at the outside of the washer. The spring, washer and retainer will always turn together when the reel is cranked. The washer should only be a hair larger than the diameter of the spring so it can't rub anything as it goes around. I'll send you a picture of a schematic if you need, or a picture of another one if you need also. Let me know if that will help.
Also, some models had an "e" clip that fitted into the slot and some had a hair pin styled clip that held the spring and washer in place. Either should work.
Exactly what I needed Tom. Thanks. Verification that there was a missing retainer. Which side of the retainer the washer goes on - and that there's nothing else missing.
Deadly Mondo Bug
Big ORCA Fan

Steve wrote:Here's a diagram of the clutch. It sounds as if the grooves in the two shafts are slipping. Maybe the problem is just wear.
Interesting patent which states that the gears engage when you start to turn the handle. Mine doesn’t. It takes a very slight nudge in addition to cranking, but the disengage is snappy. Maybe that’s better than having the rotor stop unintentionally during a cast! I knocked most of the paint off of the spring when I messed with it but it was completely bright red prior to that. I suspect that the springs were color-coded for strength because spring pressure was critical for operating exactly as described. No wear at all. doesn't look like it was ever used.
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

I agree with Tom. The little clip may be worn too and won't stay in the groove.

Jerry