Magnesium spool restoration

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Magnesium spool restoration

Post by big hoss »

Hi - I want to know how to refurbish (if it's possible) a Magnesium spool from a Record Sport 2100. (1960s version). Can anyone help me out? I believe these aren't that common in the USA but you guys seem to do a lot of reel restoration and may have an answer. If you can help I would love to hear from you. Alastair
blf
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Magnesium spool restoration

Post by blf »

if it is the factory deep spool and cork arbor it's steel. if it is the narrow spool with a much higher built in arbor then its the old competition reel we used in the old i.c.f. days. (international casting federation) world championships.mine never sat long enuff to get the gray look of storage.
take some very fine steel wool the lightest u can buy. place a small piece against the interior of the spool (where u wind the line). turn it very slowly till most is gone. NOTE: they all turn gray so worry not. it will not affect the speed of the reel. hand wipe the rim of the spool with the fine wool. DO NOT turn it as the reel turns. they are incredibly thin.
work over a rug or heavy cloth. wood floors eat these spool for bkfst.

l.o.l.

blf
did u get the small fiber sleeves that control the speed of the reel, as they are varied sizes???

email me and I will help if this is not enuff.

p.s. I just saw a post below yours with the competition pool. they were painted red at the factory in Sweden.

p.s. I have sold all mine a they are not used anymore. I do NOT believe the caps are interchangeable. has something to do with the fiber washers inside the caps were different. sorry my 1st world champion ship was in kiel ger.. I was 16 at the time. the year was 1961.
b