Need help removing screws

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Need help removing screws

Post by Richard Lodge »

I've studied the ORCA reel repair and resto book but can't figure out how to solve this one. I have an old British trolling reel, as you can see in the photos. The screws that hold the grasps on are stuck inside the grasps. Without owning one of those machines that vibrates the hell out of a piece, how do I loosen up the screws (which I assume have rusted along the threads) to get them loose? They unscrew from the reel just fine, but the grasp doesn't turn on the screw. I appreciate your helps and advice, fellow ORCAns.
-- Richard

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Need help removing screws

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Depending on the grasp material I would try the vinegar/water soak, increasing the vinegar ratio and soak time until they finally break loose. I've had it require straight vinegar and soaking for up to a week in the past, but eventually they should come loose.

Tom
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Drill a hole in a hard wood block the same size as the screw head. Place it head side down over the hole. Use another wood block on the thread side and tap it out. You may have to use a punch to get it all the way out. Corrosion has built up around the metal pin.
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

I would use Kroil which is used a lot in gunsmithing. Just apply a few drops every day for about a week or two or longer sometimes. I have used this technique on some of my collectible reels and it has never failed me yet but you have to be very patient.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Richard, Try what Don said....you might also putvit in the freezer overnight if it still gives you trouble. Leery about using heat on that grasp but cold should be no problem. However, Dons jig is likely all you need.
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

Yes Don's idea is great. The Kroil first will make it tap out much easier I think.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

You guys are great! I will try it this weekend when I get some time. It's nice to have a couple (three?) good options to try. I'll let you know how it turns out.
R