Bakelite or plastic ?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
eppy55
Big ORCA Fan

Bakelite or plastic ?

Post by eppy55 »

Hi all, I have an old Great Lakes L-40 chrome or stainless reel that is in fair condition. The problem I have with the reel is that the handle knobs are seized on the pins and obviously will not turn. My wife believes that they are bakelite as she collects costume jewelry but I am not so sure. What I need to know, is it safe to use 3 in one or some other type of conditioner or solvent or something else other than.....that could be recommended, to free up the handle knobs? The knobs are a honey color and almost see through. I wish I could provide a picture but I am so dang computer illiterate that my........well that's not important. Your help in the matter of the handle knobs at this time would sure be helpful as I do not want to put the wrong substance on them and watch them melt before my very eyes.
Your friend, Trevor Calhoun.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Re: Bakelite or plastic ?

Post by scottorock »

Hey! Welcome! Your knobs are most likely not Bakelite. What you could try is a method recommended by Ellis. Run the knobs under some very hot tap water until they start to turn. Once that happens try and get some oil/silicone/3 in 1/whatever in the space between the knob and pin...QUICKLY. It works sometimes, the idea is to loosen up the dried and hardened goop. The hot water will expand the knobs just enough to get them to turn. You could also try soaking/sonicating them with water and dish soap. Depending on the condition of the plating you could also use a vinegar solution. The 3 in 1 oil wont hurt your knobs. Sometimes soaking/sonicating knobs will leave a haze over them (depending on the type of plastic) which could be removed with a quick rub with nail polish remover. (careful with nail polish remover cuz it will melt plastic) Hopefully youll have good results with the hot tap water trick. Good luck!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

If you run the knob under hot water as suggested above, smell it afterwards. Bakelite heated in this way will smell like shellac.
eppy55
Big ORCA Fan

Post by eppy55 »

Thank you for the suggestions. I tried the hot water method and this released 1 of the knobs which I then put liberal amounts of 3 in one to it and worked that in to the pin. The other knob still remains stuck so I shall keep adding 3 in one oil to this for a few days then try the hot water method again. If that does not work I shall repeat. I also tried the smell test and I could smell something but as I am not a handyman or much of a woodworker I am not really sure what shellac smells like. And this from someone who was raised by a carpenter.....sad....my Dad will be so proud. Oh well, if it was not for him I would not like fishing as much as I do, we spent a lot of time together in the boat.
Thanks for your input, your friend, Trevor Calhoun.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Trevor,
Generally speaking, if you haven't gotten the knob to turn under the hot water adding more oil won't do anything. You need to get it to turn a little so that the oil has a space to penetrate. Many times it takes more than one try. At least you were able to get one to turn so that you can see how the process works. :) I've also had very good luck, when hot water fails, soaking the knob and pivot pin only in a vinegar/water solution. I try to minimize handle exposure to the vinegar solution because it can rust some cheaper plated metals and can also turn brass a pinkish copper color if left to soak for extended periods.
eppy55
Big ORCA Fan

Post by eppy55 »

Thanks for all the responses. A short while ago, I mixed a 1 to 1 solution of water and vinegar and immersed the handle and knobs into this solution. Would anyone have an idea as to how long I should leave this immersed or would this be " at my own risk" sort of thing and just keep on checking "ya knucklehead" ? Sorry to ask such lame questions but....I am really new at this sort of thing with zero experience. I have only started pulling together an assortment of reels these last few years, since my retirement, and with what I have seen here I cannot yet call my endeavors, collecting........yet. You Gents and Ladies, with your collections and knowledge leave me in awe. As a side note to Paul, if this fails then I shall consider your proposal.
Once again I thank you all, Your friend ....Trevor Calhoun
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I'd try it for a couple of hours & if it won't turn then maybe overnight. Don't neglect to retry the hot water/dish soap soak again, especially if you can budge it a little. I had a couple of notoriously sticky Langley 850 handles I let soak in straight vinegar for a week. They finally came loose and work fine now. The riveted brass pin turned pink but it buffed off fine. They were stuck so tight I figured I really didn't have much to lose at that point.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

If your wife won't chase you out of the kitchen over the vinegar smell....you can pop the 1:1 solution in the microwave on high for a minute before sticking in the handle and double up on the treatment! You don't want to put it in boiling water (just out of principle), but hot is good.
eppy55
Big ORCA Fan

Post by eppy55 »

Well...after 6 hours in the 1 to 1 vinegar and water solution the other knob came free. I worked it for a bit last evening with 3 in one but it still does not turn as freely as the other side. This does not mean I am an unhappy man, far, far from it, I am elated because when I started , both knobs/handles were froze and now they are not!
You folks are the best and eager to help a fellow fisherman out at the drop of a question. I have been coming here for about 3 years though I never signed up till just recently. I guess I should have done that sooner. Someday I hope I can repay someone with my knowledge on here when the time comes. I do tell them about O.R.C.A. and Reel Talk.
Thank you for help with my reel. You guys are aces! Your friend, Trevor Calhoun.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

You're welcome, Trevor. That's what it's all about here, collectors and friends sharing knowledge and assisting in each other's needs. :mrgreen: Keep tinkering with it, though, it may loosen up a little more, yet. We're glad you were able to be successful. :cool
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

<<chase you out of the kitchen over the vinegar smell.>>
Alternately you could heat just the water to near boiling, then temper it with room temp vinegar.

<<I worked it for a bit last evening with 3 in one but it still does not turn as freely as the other side>>
This might be a situation where WD-40 or one of it's kind might be just the ticket to flush any loosened gunk out with pressure.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Every once in a great while you will find one that is stuck like that because when they peened the knob pin the pin bent. The only solution then is to replace the pin.