Penn 712z ease-of-cranking tips?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
wadefish
Big ORCA Fan

Penn 712z ease-of-cranking tips?

Post by wadefish »

I recently acquired a 712z from an old friend.

Looks to be clean and in good shape. My first spinfisher z, so I don't have experience with this design.

But what I seem to be observing is that cranking ease is in inverse relation to the tightness of the screw holding down the sideplate opposite the handle.

Does that sound right? Doesn't seem like that should be. And the side plate doesn't appear warped or misshapen.

Just wondering if I am missing something.

Also, if I "speed crank" the reel and then let go of the handle, the handle stops spinning within a 1/2 rotation or so. Does that sound about right for this reel? I'm used to newer tech spinning reels, that crank quite a bit more freely. So I'm just wondering whether this reel is operating about right for its design, or if tuning is in order.

Any tips on tuning to allow the reel to crank more freely?

Again, the reel and gears appear to be pretty clean, and grease looks fresh.

Thanks for any thoughts.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Penn 712z ease-of-cranking tips?

Post by john elder »

Does loosening the drag change anything? The most likely culprit is the grease, in spite of looking fresh. Some grease is overly stiff and/or over-apllied, causing undue stiffness. I would clean out with mineral spirits and apply a modern grease like Quantum hot sayse along with hi speed oil in the right spots.

Having said all that, it's rare to find an older reel that will operate as smooth as modern ones with non-metal gears. However, the old ones will still be running well when the new ones are in the landfill.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

As John indicated, old or stiff grease is likely the culprit, side plate tightness should have no relevance to cranking ease or speed. I doubt, though, if drag adjustment would have any affect on either. You might want to check the main gear to see if an incorrect shim is causing the crosswind or screw to put pressure on the side plate somewhere, although there should be plenty of clearance. Even though the grease appears to be fresh, old grease can leave a sticky residue on any part, so if whoever serviced it last didn't thoroughly clean all of the parts the reel will not operate at its maximum potential. The reel should be completely dismantled and all parts, including the ball bearing and bushings, cleaned/soaked in some sort of degreasing agent, i.e. acetone, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, etc. for optimum results. Don't use acetone or lacquer thinner on painted, plastic or rubber parts. It is a quality reel so it should work freely, quietly and smoothly. It will not, though, ever continue to spin like the newer reels because they were just plain built better to last longer. One to two rotations after release is about all that can be expected.

Once you take it completely apart you should have around 70 individual parts. Here's a schematic, click on it to enlarge and click the diagonal arrow to enlarge it further:

Hope that helps.
wadefish
Big ORCA Fan

Post by wadefish »

Thanks for the tips. I'm guessing you all are correct that grease is the culprit, either there's too much, or it's a bit old. Since everything looks and feels like it's running straight and true (no wobbling or hitching.

And yes, the reel definitely looks like it will last a long time, well cared for (and it already has, since it much be 20 yrs old or more). So much less complicated than the inside of a Shimano :)