Wright & McGill Stream and Lake reel help or schematic needed.

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Wright & McGill Stream and Lake reel help or schematic needed.

Post by jimbofish »

Picked up a Wright & McGill Stream and Lake reel the other week. It's similar to the 88 model but is a spin configuration, no push-button. One presses the rotor through the opening in the cover to release the line pickup. Interior looks the same as some 88 pics here.
I'm in the process of refurbishing it and can't get the rotor off. It has a CCW arrow and 'remove' on the spinner but that just makes the handle unscrew. It must be seized on the shaft but I can't get enough grip on the pinion gear to break it free. I've been soaking it in Kroil with no success.
I took off the small lock nut on the interior end of the rotor shaft, thinking I could pull the shaft out with the rotor. No go. I don't know if it's just stuck or not meant to come out that way.
If I had a schematic I could at least tell how it's supposed to come out.
Can anyone help?
g,h. block
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Wright & McGill Stream and Lake reel help or schematic needed.

Post by g,h. block »

i have factory owners manual and schematics on that. those were made in both a left and right hand crank reel.--- to remove the winder drum hold the handle and turn the drum in the same direction if turns durning normal retrieve.----- looking at the drawing here it looks like with the nut off of the main shaft inside you should be able to tap the shaft out to the front with the drum still on it,the pinion gear looks like it is on the shaft by means of serrations on the shaft, so that probably would be a bit tight, my guess is you can tap the end of the shaft with a wood or plastic tool handle and it pops out, there is no shoulder or snap ring showing on the inside that would prevent it from going out that way. if you need photos i can do that the paper work is from 1958---- gene
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Wright & McGill Stream and Lake reel help or schematic needed.

Post by jimbofish »

Thanks! That pretty much answers what I was thinking about how it goes together. Mine has the crank on the right side.

Part of my trouble is that I don't have the original handle. It's just threaded onto the end of the shaft, so when I try to unscrew the rotor drum, the handle unscrews instead because it's the looser connection. There are internal threads on the end of the crank shaft so there must be something that screws into the center to lock it in. I really need to find a proper handle for this.

Edit:
I did manage to get the rotor to unscrew by placing a thin piece of soft metal into the gears to lock them from turning. Thankfully it didn't cause any damage to the gears!

I found a catalog page on the web that describes the reel. It refers to a couple of features that answered my confusion over the purpose of some parts inside. So, now I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to have the paperwork so I know how they are supposed to be used. So, if you can provide it, I'd appreciate a scan or pic of what you have.