Help With Fin Nor 15/0 Double Handle Drum Reel

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Help With Fin Nor 15/0 Double Handle Drum Reel

Post by Deepfins791 »

I recently acquired a double handle Fin Nor drum reel, and set out to break it completely down and give it a good cleaning/re-lube. I removed every single part and screw I possibly could, but never was able to successfully get into the drum on the right side of the reel. Below are some pictures of the reel before I started, pictures of the parts, and some after shots of the reel cleaned and re-assembled. If anyone has experience working on these older drum Fin Nor reels, and knows exactly how to get into the drum, I would greatly appreciate some guidance.

Interestingly, the drag disc on the auxiliary handle is made of Micarta. And there were close to 80 screws used to assemble this reel!

Thanks for any help!
John

RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Help With Fin Nor 15/0 Double Handle Drum Reel

Post by RonG »

WOW, what a monster. How much does that guy weigh? It's a neat looking reel.
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

It's surprisingly light, Ron, at 13 pounds on my bathroom scale. By comparison, my 16/0 Coxe cradle weighed in at a whopping 24.6 pounds!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Just gorgeous, John....and great job of cleanup! I look forward to having it in hand this weekend....can you imagine what it would cost to make that reel today??!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Somebody on another thread indicated they sold for $500 back in the day, or $7000 in today's dollars!
Last edited by Deepfins791 on Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Actually that's $8,500 PLUS commission, taxes and shipping! I never thought l'd see the day someone would be able to break one down then again starting with a piece with out corrosion and oil in the joints is a good start. Bravo, Nice job! No easy feat! What would you charge to do another? Just kidding I like the character on my example. Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Great Job John! Sorry I could not be more help on how to get into the external drag housing. One thing you might try is to look into the patent drawing for some insight. Here is the link:

https://www.google.com/patents/US222051 ... EQ6AEILzAD

That reel cleaned up very nicely. The knobs are made of lignum vitae which is so dense that it will continue to secrete oil for another 80 years.

The big drum Fin-Nor sold in the 1937 A & F catalog for $500.00. It was built specifically to catch the large blue fin tuna that were running off the island of Bimini in the Bahamas. The first reel was produced in 1935 and tested in Bimini and Nova Scotia. The first reels were sold in 1936 and for my money were the best best reel going at the time.

I'm going to send you one of these, I still have a few copies left, it should answer some of your questions about the reel and the company.

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Thank you very much, Ed! I'll study those patent drawings and see if they offer any clues. I'm thinking the freespool lever has to be removed, first, but I can't see any way of removing it. There are no screws/nuts holding it in place. Frustrating to get as far as I did, only to hit a brick wall! I'll settle up with you for the book at Daytona, if not with cash, then beer!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

John by the looks of your reel take down, clean and lube skills Mr. Elder better look out !!! Beautiful reel and good job on the clean up ! John Taylor
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

He can have the job, John! You are right, John B has the touch!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures