I just couldn't take it ANYMORE!!

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

I just couldn't take it ANYMORE!!

Post by john elder »

So, one of our antiquing paths took me past this poor old wooden reel about 6 months ago...the first time. I picked it up and petted it....and put if back because the booth was asking 15 bucks for it. Three months later, we cruised through again and there was the poor reel, still sitting there....I picked it up again..sighed a couple times, then put it back down.

Three more months went by and we arrived at the mall again; this time they were having a big sale....no one had snapped up the wood reel and now the price had plummeted...to about 14 bucks after tax. I cracked...picked it up, paid the man and dragged it home to see if I could rescue it. I gave it a cleaning with Murphys...quite a sacrifice, since I HATE the small of Murphys Oil Soap! I gave it a few coats of tung oil and rubbed it out with wax; threw away the washer and nut that had been stuck on it and turned new ones; and cleaned the reel seat/spindle. So, after several hours of work, I turned a beat up 14 buck reel into.....well....a pretty nice looking/working 14 buck reel. Hey, but what the heck, he looks pretty good catching Shelf Fish...

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: I just couldn't take it ANYMORE!!

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Nice rescue, John! :cool I always figured you were just an ol' softy at heart. :D
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

One of a kind, John...just like you!
ORCA Member
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Beautiful!
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Gotta hand it to you John! I've seriously got to send you some work. ...if you don't mind. We've got to talk. Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks for the pats, folks. At least it got protected enough that the wood never totally dried out and split...that is pretty much the death knell for old wooden objects, except to hang on the wall at Cracker Barrel.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Back from the dead!
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."