A paint removal method, works great but may be risky...

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
The Fishing Hobby
Advanced Board Poster

A paint removal method, works great but may be risky...

Post by The Fishing Hobby »

I just wanted to throw this out there because it is something at least worth discussing in my opinion. There are several potential problems with this method but I used it on the reel pictured with outstanding results so I would say it is something worth looking into.
I will start out by saying this wasn't an incredibly expensive or valuable reel that I tried this method on. If it messed it up I wasn't going to lose any sleep over it. The result looks a lot like what you would get using an extremely gental blast media, so I was pretty impressed.

To strip the paint on this reel pretty much effortlessly, I used the self cleaning function on my oven.
Now there are some potential problems with this and I am not encouraging others to try it. I am simply looking to open up the topic for discussion.

Potential problems:
1) not all ovens are the same, some could possibly get hotter than mine...maybe even hot enough to melt aluminum
2) toxic fumes. Not sure about that one. I would assume this paint was some sort of oil based enmel and the amount on the reel is probably pretty small. Again I just don't know how much of a concern that it should be. To be safe, it would probably be best to use an old oven in a well ventilated shop and possibly wearing a respirator. I don't know if all of that is necessary or not. I did mine in the house just turning on the vent hood.
3) potential to warp the metal being heated. In an effort to prevent this, I heated up the oven with the parts in it starting from the lowest setting and gradually increasing to its highest baking setting over the course of 15-20 minutes. I then turned off the bake function and set the oven to self cleaning. I only left my parts in the oven for 40 minutes before cancelling the self cleaning function. After that time, I allowed the parts to cool on their own in the closed oven for a few hours, again to try and prevent thermal shock/warping.
4) also burns off lubricants. This is a good thing when repainting It is a bad thing for oilite type bushings. I removed the bushing from the reel to prevent damaging it.
5) dissimilar metals being heated together. There were 2 steel parts I left in. One was a friction fit pressed in steel pin in the crank handle and the other was a steel pin that the anti-reverse dog pivots on. I actually lightly oiled these pins in hopes that the oil would burn and make a semi protective coating kind of like seasoning a cast iron skillet. That appears to have happened. I don't know how much of a potential problem it is to heat dissimilar metals together.

When I did this, I wasn't really sure how hot my oven gets so I used foil under the parts and watched carefully for any signs of melting of the foil. It didn't harm the foil in the 40 minutes I heated the parts using the self cleaning function in my oven.

The reason I did this process is because I tried removing the paint with a nasty chemical striper with very little luck. I also tried a heat gun and it wasn't working well and I worried about warping when heating small areas. I decided a gradual heat up and cool down evenly in the oven might be a better option. I had used the self cleaning feature to clean up old nasty cast iron skillets in the past with great success so I thought it may work well for paint removal as well. It did a great job for me in this case.

One note to add, this process didn't seem to harm any anodizing. I didn't think it would and I don't believe it did. I checked continuity of the anodized parts and there is none just as it should be.

Does anyone else have any thoughts, questions or concerns about doing this?
I would love to hear any feedback, positive or negative. This may be a good option or a bad option of others but I think it is worth examination.

Last edited by The Fishing Hobby on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(formerly Insanehognutt)
Kevin Connell
Greenbrier, AR
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqne7f ... pp=desktop
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: A paint removal method, works great but may be risky...

Post by john elder »

You aren't married, are you, Kev... :shock: :D

looks like you got good results, but an effective, kinder-gentler stripper you can use that works well and is not as vicious to use as methylene chloride-based strippers is call CitraStrip. You don't want to eat it, but you can wear plastic gloves and they won't melt into your flesh as with the MC strippers. Give a try and save the oven for the thanksgiving turkey!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
The Fishing Hobby
Advanced Board Poster

Yes I am married, but she pretty much lets me do what I want as long as there is no damage or nasty odors involved! I actually tried CitriStrip and then Klean-Strip after that thinking it would do it but they weren't working at all of the body and cup. I suspect the enamel was baked on for the body and cup and that was the problem? Maybe not, but for whatever reason it was really stuck.

I smoke my turkeys anyway :D
(formerly Insanehognutt)
Kevin Connell
Greenbrier, AR
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Turned out looking pretty nice, no scratches or burnish marks to speak of. Since it's a '68 issue I might be a little concerned about lead additive, but I have no idea how lead based paint and hi temp react & disperse, especially in a residential oven. I think, if I were going to make a habit out of it, I would opt for a "self cleaner" out in the shed. :|
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Aluminum melts at 1221F. I think our self-cleaning oven operates around 700-800, but I'm not sure.

When the cycle was over was the old paint just some ash sitting on the surface of the metal like a powder? Was there any remnant of the paint?

Sid
Sid Lehr
The Fishing Hobby
Advanced Board Poster

I think that would be the way to go (oven in a shop) as well. There wasn't much ash from the paint at all left. You can see a few spots on the foil in the pictures. As far as I could tell it just fell off. I washed the parts just make sure they were clean. Lead would be a concern. I don't think it can be a vapor though I could be wrong. Definitely would want something under it to catch anything that falls off.
Last edited by The Fishing Hobby on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(formerly Insanehognutt)
Kevin Connell
Greenbrier, AR
The Fishing Hobby
Advanced Board Poster

Well apparently lead vaporizes around 1000°F
(formerly Insanehognutt)
Kevin Connell
Greenbrier, AR