Vintage tackle - exposure to SUN question

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Vintage tackle - exposure to SUN question

Post by Dan Z »

So my rare book collection i keep out of the sunlight, i assume the same applies to vintage Rods given the line/wraps and wood, but what about Reels? Best to keep out of direct sunlight as well? or is partial -aka a few hours a day light hits my collection depending on where sun is.... OK...?
Basic guideline discussion and experiences for Tackle vrs Sunlight appreciated.
thanks Orca's. Daniel z
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Vintage tackle - exposure to SUN question

Post by Nick in NY »

I SHOULD being a majority of my collection consists of hard rubber reels as you've seen but being out of the sun and exposed without glass in front of them is another topic. I do find dust accumulated on the plates and Will one day invest in custom display case.I have had new unfished hard rubber plates discolor from just being in light then the dust is abrasive and to wipe it into a black mirror like plate? Kills me.......all those years in the original case! Now what?
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

What Nick said...all you have to do is look at a few old HR reels that have seen use and check under the handles or the free spool lever to see what UV does to the rubber. Any protection from UV for your Shelf Fishing reels is well-advised.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

If one accepts that UV light degrades hard rubber AND that most UV rays are blocked by a pane of glass, there would be little risk to reels left in the sun indoors, but how many times have you seen a color printed piece fade from the sun that comes through a window? There's obviously more going on here and I would shade my HR reels from direct sun in a window. It would be a rather easy experiment to cover a portion of a HR plate and set it in a window for a few months to see what changes may take place; I would do it, but here in S Florida we have a reflective film on our windows, so it wouldn't be a real experiment.
Sid Lehr
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

Thanks Guys, and what are your thoughts about Monel/Stainless steel reels in sunlight? Specifically I have two hardy Zane Grey's on a shelf that get direct sunlight (through a window) a few hours a day....

i guess the safest thing to do is move, but its also the best place to display and see it.

thanks....
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Just send them to me :)
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

Haha.... what else do you collect?
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Dan, just click on my name at left and you will see a link to my website to get a general idea of my reel related interests.
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

cool, will do. thanks
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Dan Z wrote:Thanks Guys, and what are your thoughts about Monel/Stainless steel reels in sunlight? Specifically I have two hardy Zane Grey's on a shelf that get direct sunlight (through a window) a few hours a day....

i guess the safest thing to do is move, but its also the best place to display and see it.

thanks....
The safest thing would be send those reels your worried about to John Taylor for safe keeping !!! I will keep them in my safe !!!!! The big Kov cradle should be first to send my way as sun is especially bad on those !!!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I would venture to say that your monel/SS will be safe in the sun, though as you say, the sun can't be helping anything it hits...just ask my dermatologist!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

Do you want the Kovalovsky close to 1/0 size and the Hardy Alma too? Or just the 20/0 Cradle and 6 1/2 & 8 1/2 Hardy Zane Grey's? its just too sunny here in Cali!

Bwahahhahahaha....

Im always on the Hunt for more!!!! who has some more like these??????
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

have this ebonite example to contribute. On this 1888 Spalding Kosmic, there is a band of darker ebonite remaining where it was shaded by the handle sitting in a fixed position for so many years.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Ron Mc wrote:have this ebonite example to contribute. On this 1888 Spalding Kosmic, there is a band of darker ebonite remaining where it was shaded by the handle sitting in a fixed position for so many years.
That's pretty indisputable evidence given the space between the side plate and handle. It's not like it was protected from air in that specific area.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

AGREED. We should all be more mindful on how/where we display our vintage tackle treasures (for generations to come). thanks all for your opinions. Dz
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

that said, get the old line off your valuable reels, and clean away green and thick red deposits. The living biofilm contributes to dealloying corrosion - it's metal thickness loss in your reels that you can't see because the pits are filled with a mat of porous, replated metallic copper (zinc and nickel salt out).
If you want patina on your reels, you have to get rid of active corrosion and let it form a patina (which begins immediately on a clean reel).

Even on the handle in my photo above, you can see the attack from rotting line in the spool.

Image Image