Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:26 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Big ORCA Fan
Hello to all, needing a little help here. I have a first generation Enterprise Worth reel that I am attempting to clean and discovered the screw holding the handle on is not budging. I gave it a shot of PB Blaster and let it sit overnight but no luck. Am considering of giving the reel a dunk in PB Blaster overnight but am unsure of what will happen to the nob which is pristine. Had the right size screwdriver on it and couldn't even budge it, any thoughts?

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:57 pm 
Star Board Poster
The knob should be okay in the soak. You might try a heat gun on the stem if the soak doesn’t do it. A few hot-cold (put an ice cube on it) treatments usually work.

If it were mine, I would have started with an overnight soak in 1:1 white vinegar: water. Since I started doing this, it is rare that I have difficulty with screws that won’t come out.

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:41 pm 
Advanced Board Poster
I’d be careful with PB Blaster and plastics. One of the best penetrants is a 50/50 mix of acetone/automatic transmission fluid. Kano Kroil is a close second.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:15 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Big ORCA Fan
Thank you John and Sid for the tips, it didn't come out to bad, minimal damage.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:04 pm 
Star Board Poster
Great! You can take the smirk off the screw with a fine file after pushing as much metal as you can back into place. Use the shaft of a screwdriver and work the metal back towards the slot so as to minimize metal loss when filing. With a little patience and good files, you can get the screw back to where it should be.

John

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:35 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
john elder wrote:Great! You can take the smirk off the screw with a fine file after pushing as much metal as you can back into place. Use the shaft of a screwdriver and work the metal back towards the slot so as to minimize metal loss when filing. With a little patience and good files, you can get the screw back to where it should be.

John

Lol, John, I love the expression “take the smirk off the screw...” Many a teacher told me to take the smirk off my face back in the day,