Redifor Beetzsel Drag Question

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
beepr1
Big ORCA Fan

Redifor Beetzsel Drag Question

Post by beepr1 »

hello to all need a little help in identifying what the drag should look like on the inside of this Redifor (Warren,OH) Beetzsel. This one was made by the Redifor Rod and Reel Company, Warren, Ohio, 5 patent dates on the back plate. That button on the front does not even line up with the hole on the inside front plate.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Redifor Beetzsel Drag Question

Post by john elder »

Beepr, i’m Away from my reels at the moment, so will try to send someone else along with pics, but it looks like you are missing the arm that the button acts on. It should raise and lower a brass post to either go through that hole and ride on the spool, creating drag, or inversely, raise the post away from the spool.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Here's some photos.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ah! Good ole Ron! Thanks for the visual aids! Beepr, hope you can now see that missing piece and how it works off that button. Finding a replacement may be tough! Not too many Beetzsel parts reels or junkers out there!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
beepr1
Big ORCA Fan

Post by beepr1 »

Great BIG thank you to John and Ron for the pictures and info. I think that part can be remanufactured. I'm assuming the post on the brass flat spring is partially inserted through the hole keeping the brass flat spring in place from moving out from beneath the drag adjustment disc unless its attached under there? Also is the brass post secured to the brass flat spring with a screw or solder from the underside? Loctite may be an alternative here for that part. The engineering and manufacturing of these parts back then was simply amazing. Denny
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

There is a screw on the inside of your cover plate. That is where it mounts. You may be able to replace it with one from another reel. Some use a spring that is very similar.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Generally, the post goes through the spring and is then soldered in place. The flat spring should push the post down through the hole and against the spool. The button pushes underneath the spring, raising it just enough to clear the spool so the post is still in the hole.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

beepr1
Big ORCA Fan

Post by beepr1 »

Hi Don, fortunately for me the screw you mentioned was still there. You mentioned a few reels that had a similar drag set-up? Finding a parts Beetzsel would probably be next to impossible but maybe something from another reel could be adapted?