A friend of ours recommended using Maas or Mass....

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
KevinVirden
Frequent Board Poster

A friend of ours recommended using Maas or Mass....

Post by KevinVirden »

I'm not sure how to pronounce it or where to purchase it so we can clean up some old reels we had. Does anyone know where to purchase this or how to even pronounce it properly?????
If this is not a good product, what do you recommend? i.e. German silver reels, and later satin metal, aluminum body, etc.

Thanks,
Kevin Virden
Akron, Ohio
NFLCC
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: A friend of ours recommended using Maas or Mass....

Post by john elder »

I’m sure a lot of polishes will do the job, with main difference being the amount of abrasive characteristic. I still use Simichrome as a first choice...best source is on line. Motorcycle shops carry it but will gouge you on price, both amazon and eBay have it and I suspect they will also have Maas.

Just ran search and depending on source, Maas is more expensive

https://www.amazon.com/Maas-Internation ... B0008D7IV8
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
KevinVirden
Frequent Board Poster

Post by KevinVirden »

Thank you for the information. Yes you are right Maas is a little more expensive. I'll show my dad as he is the reel "nut" in the house! You did an excellent job helping Todd with the research on the Al Foss 3-25 reel. We picked up one at Nationals serial #93, one of the field tester models. What a show!

Kevin Virden
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Kevin...I'm a little late to the subject and the decision has probably already been made, but I'll toss-in 2 cents worth. Maas (pronounced moss) has a much finer abrasive compound than Simichrome. It's used a lot by watchmakers to polish glass/plastic watch faces. Simichrome seems to work a little more effectively on reels, when it comes to getting the job done quicker, with better good overall results. Maas will work, but it'll take longer and is clearly more expensive. Old reels...Simichrome. Glass, plastics and fine smooth, high gloss finishes...Maas. Humble Experience :wink:
Rick Heitman
- Bad Casts, backlash, no bites? Check the Nut holding the rod !! -
escharfie
Advanced Board Poster

Post by escharfie »

Flitz !
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I have to also submit my vote for Flitz, since I have used it for 25 years, and think it is a great polish for many objects. I recommend looking at the Material Data Sheet for any product you wish to use. For example, since Flitz uses an aluminum oxide as the base for its polish element, it is not recommended for aluminum objects. Each polish has its targets and strengths.

One other element to be gained from the MDS is whether or not there are any elements that may harm what you are aiming to clean/polish. Fritz contains a small amount of ammonia, and is not recommended for anything that has a reaction to that. For example, some painted surface that is not varnished or otherwise coated with a clear lacquer is not recommended. Almost any base metal except aluminum can be cleaned with Flitz or Simichrome.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
escharfie
Advanced Board Poster

Post by escharfie »

I polish my Aluminum hot rod wheels with Flitz......

Shines like chrome.