Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:45 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
EVH 621 4/0 cleanup for a friend

BEFORE

AFTER

The screw heads on the pre-cleaned reel we’re near perfect and the hardest part of the job was removing the screws without creating damage. I chose to NOT soak the whole thing in vinegar solution (which would have made screw removal a snap). I did it this way because the rubber was a nice solid black and I didn’t want to bring out the pale brown from UV damage. It saved me a day of exfoliating the rubber. It is a nice reel on its way back home.

It is interesting that the gear transmission kicked in towards the end of this video. I guess you need a line and a tuna on the end to make the reel perform all its great functions :D

https://youtu.be/1DgbMR3_fXQ

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:32 am 
Ultra Board Poster
Here is a video showing one of the methods I used to clean up some of the solid nickel-silver surfaces on this reel. Use with caution!

https://youtu.be/rMeJ1QW3_us

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:23 pm 
Star Board Poster
Very nice, Paul!

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:43 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
I have another video that I plan to post but as usual with spontaneous video clips like these, what “free advice” you verbalize on the soundtrack doesn’t always precisely match the demonstration and hand techniques shown. I have learned certain Reel Talk enthusiasts actually pay attention to those details and may call you out. So before posting the next one I will try to redo the soundtrack to match what my hands are actually doing, like it or not, LOL.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:17 am 
Ultra Board Poster
Verdisgris on the spool comes off quite easily after soaking in 50/50 vinegar and water. That soaking may not actually remove the gunk but it becomes loose enough to scrub off. I am simply using my finger nail to demonstrate how loose it becomes.... I don't clean reels with my fingernails :D

Doing this soak has risks of damaging plating (nickel) on base metal (brass) so be aware of the materials you are cleaning. It is all discussed in the ORCA Restoration Guide and elsewhere in this section of Reel Talk but I thought a video clip might give some newcomers the confidence to try it themselves.

https://youtu.be/Fy4-HJnA1dk