Repair to cracked frame of a vintage 4" Hardy Perfect fly reel

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Repair to cracked frame of a vintage 4" Hardy Perfect fly reel

Post by Paul M »

Hardy Perfect 4” with cracked frame: Before and After. Thanks to Evert van der Plas - a Facebook friend in Europe- for the tip on applying 2 part epoxy for metal, by putting a bit of the mixture on a sheet of paper and drawing that through the narrow crack. Actually I applied it to both sides of the paper simultaneously :idea: . During the process of clamping the rim frame crack into alignment I discovered a second crack in one of the cross-pillars :Bawl: . That one was repaired at the same time and has almost disappeared :yay . While you can still see a line where the rim was cracked, it is very smooth and secure. I did fill in the "glued" cracks a bit using JB Weld putty smoothed over with my wet finger but 99.9% of the putty was ultimately wiped off to get a smooth finish. Pics make it look worse than to the naked eye. The repair is very sound and will fish fine.

PS If you want to check out Evert's Refurbishing Vintage Reels & Tackle Group on Facebook, click on the link to Join that Facebook Group:
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Repair to cracked frame of a vintage 4" Hardy Perfect fly reel

Post by desertangler »

Looks good Paul. I will try on a couple of my reels too.

Cheers,

George
:fished Reely Easy Going ORCA Member