Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:33 pm 
Star Board Poster
So, if the Professor made a forge and a lathe and Gilligan and Maryann combed up enough beer and Seven-up cans on the beach, I think this reel would probably be the reel they would have made! ORCAn Dan Zirilli scared this reel up from somewhere and sent to me for "restoration", but I think it falls more in the category of "resuscitation". It is the most home-made, home-made reel that I have run across, with super-rough aluminum parts. It looks to have been made by pouring molten aluminum into open molds, then shaping out in a "minimalist" fashion, to say the least. Check the pics of the side plates and you will see how rough the pour was and the interior isn't even finished out.

In spite of the crude construction, the reel works as intended! Gearing is 1:1 and ball bearings have been put in all pertinent locations; all the gears are locked in place with pins, rather than screws. A crude, but effective anti-reverse is on the back plate side, with an on/off switch on a screw that when thrown, holds the AR pawl away from the gear. shims have been added where needed to make the whole operation run surprisingly smooth. The spool was wrapped with about 300 ft of copper wire and was reinforced with numerous cross-members to ensure it doesn't collapse during use:

So, the urge is to put out the JB Weld and put some lipstick on this pig....but on second thought, it 'tis what it 'tis....and certainly one of a kind just as it is.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:49 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Frequent Board Poster
It looks like a reel that would be used for down riggers on a boat for trolling for salmon in the Great Lakes.
Joe

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:03 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
Rustic, but imagine the amount of time that went into it! If you ask me, it's a masterpiece. There is nothing wrong with a home-made piece looking home-made.
-steve

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:03 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
Oh my dear John, I believe you are truly missing the grandeur or this reel. Think about the maker. An under privileged individual that wanted or maybe needed to fish. Poor, possibly, can’t afford a “store bought” rod and reel,,, make/build one! Maybe not pretty, but totally functional! I find it a thing of beauty! Any man of means could purchase one of the beautiful production reels, some did the best they could with what they had. This is part of our history! Please John, treat her with the respect she deserves.
Reeltyme
Randy McConnell

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:33 pm 
Star Board Poster
Er...sorry about the pig comment :oops: ...I agree it’s a relic that no doubt represents its history, for which background is sketchy....this bit of lore from Dan:

“So to add to it a bit - the original owner the legend was it came from Hawaii in the 1950s or so and was originally used for shark and tuna fishing then hung on a wall ever since. That’s all they knew ... my bud in New Zealand said it looks like a molum reel, but not exactly..”

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:53 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
To answer your original question, John, it looks like Gilligan used a Penn reel...

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:45 am 
Star Board Poster
They cheated, Mike! That was on the three-hour tour boat!

Reel is clean, lubed, adjusted and back together and looks pretty good when in the company of friends!

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:50 am 
Advanced Board Poster
Maybe one of George Stevens relatives made it LOL !! JT

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:39 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
Way to go John! :lol: I knew there was a sleeping beauty under those shabby clothes! Now that’s what I’m talking about! Great job! Took her from little ole Mary Ann to a Ginger!
Reeltyme

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:03 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
Another fantastic restoration, John!

Mike N

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:38 pm 
Advanced Board Poster
Well done, John! Sometimes I wish our website had a Facebook "like" button for your wonderful restorations.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:58 pm 
Advanced Board Poster
FANTASTIC JOB JOHN! Love it! These big game oddball reels deserve the TLC and also of course if anybody knows more about it, please add to thread. Thanks Team Orca! Daniel z

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:01 am 
Frequent Board Poster
What a transformation! It’s gone from something I wouldn’t have given a second glance at to something I can’t take my eyes off of!

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:20 am 
Ultra Board Poster
Positive attitude helped! John’s appreciation for hand crafted reels of all kinds allowed its inner beauty to shine through. Thanks for the lesson!

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:49 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Ultra Board Poster
John,
I have a house full of unfinished or un-started projects. I think I'll take a drive down to your house.....tomorrow! Great job, as always. A lot of people don't know how to tap any talent they have. Obviously, that's not a problem with you.
Mark

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:27 pm 
Star Board Poster
Thanks for all the compliments, folks! Restoration has turned into a really fun hobby for me. I’m always happy to tear into something new...as long as it’s not just scraping congealed grease,I’m in!

I might add that the main thing you need for this kinda work is willingness to totally disregard the amount of time you spend on the projects...if you are trying to make a mortgage payment, this isn’t for you! :D

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:53 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
Once again John, I must ever so respectfully disagree with your final statement. I am quite sure, after doing some quick numbers, that I make close to $.50 an hour cleaning and repairing reels, and will soon be able to purchase that life long dream,, a nice little trailer down by the River! :bash:
Reeltyme

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:46 am 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
I'm with OC and Reeltyme on this. This is actually a really neat reel. Even if the casting is sorta crude, the precision fitting of ball bearings and so on is not. No matter who made it, it sure didn't happen by accident! Cool stuff!

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:11 pm 
Frequent Board Poster
John, just found this thread and glad I did.

What a treat to see this reel. Appearances can be deceiving and the crudity conceals some really fine craftsmanship.

I'm guessing the builder didn't have a lot of resources available and built something useful with what he had to hand.

Thanks for posting it.

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:00 pm 
Advanced Board Poster
Thanks again John for helping me with this reel, and all the Orcans for their Fun responses. Im really enjoying this Oddball reel. If anyone has any other one-offs or oddball big game reels, feel free to post on this thread. cool to see what surfaces from the Deep. dz