Kovalovsky Planetary Gears

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Kovalovsky Planetary Gears

Post by Deepfins791 »

I've had a number of rim control Kov' reels with planetary gearing opened up for cleaning. My latest was a 16/0 Esquire cradle reel. I find the planetary gearing in these reels really cool. John Elder shared pictures on this board of the planetary gearing inside a reel he overhauled for Steve Morse. Arthur's design inspiration probably came from his work in the automobile industry (transmissions). Here is another example.

I know from doing a little research that fishing reels were being designed with planetary gears long before Arthur began using them. Pictures are pretty scarce, though. I'd love to see pictures of examples of these gears in other reels if anybody has some to post.

Cheers,
John
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Kovalovsky Planetary Gears

Post by Steve »

I'd love to see pictures of examples of these gears in other reels
The 1879 patent model for a reel with planetary gears is in the Smithsonian.

Maybe the best-known early example was the 1882 reel made by Wm. Mills & Son.

Henshall accused "B.F. Meek, a Mr. Barbour...and B.C. Milam" of making a few reels with what he called "centrifugal gearing."

The Smithsonian also has the model for the 1864 patent of a reel with a drum brake, invented by a guy better known for revolutionizing the manufacture of playing cards. These and the development of just about every reel-related feature to 1920 are described in my book.
Last edited by Steve on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Boy there was nothing FRAGILE about Kovalovsky's reels !! Looks like they were built to last for years on the open sea and that coupled with amount of old grease in that one BULLET PROOF !! Looks like the drags "TRUCK BRAKES" would also stand the test of time. Beautiful reels John !!! John Taylor
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Thanks, Steve for the information. The early application seems to be primarily for fly reels. Do you know of any examples of these gears being used in vintage conventional saltwater reels?

Yes, John, anytime I open up a Kovalovsky, the term "bullet proof" comes to mind! Although a bit "clunky", they were built to take on just about anything the ocean could dish out.

John
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I have heard the gearing in Deepfins reel called a "Geneva Moovement". I don't know why. I have seen it before, just not in a reel.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Do you know of any examples of these gears being used in vintage conventional saltwater reels?
John, back in "the day," a conventional saltwater reel was just something big enough to be considered usable for larger, stronger saltwater fish. It took a long time before folks started making the huge trolling reels you're probably referring to. Anyway, W.H. Atkinson patented an amazing reel in 1891. It had planetary gears, a 2-speed transmission, and a drum brake. The transmission was provided to "increase power" when needed, a feature you would need more often for saltwater. Atkinson ran a business for many years making a variety of metal products, and later, auto parts. I can't imagine that he didn't attempt to make and market his reel, knowing that this was his second reel patent. The folks who collect the monster reels are in a better position to answer your question with regard to the later monsters.

Planetary gearing per se had been in use for two millennia before your reel was made; Leonardo drew them, and lots of machines employed them. Reelmakers often seem to be slow on the technological uptake.

Don, a Geneva movement is used to produce intermittent motion.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Thanks, Steve. That's very interesting.

Any later big game reels from the 1920's-1940's with p-gears, anybody? Pictures?
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

Steve wrote:
back in "the day," a conventional saltwater reel was just something big enough to be considered usable for larger, stronger saltwater fish.
I would agree, most of the "New York" reels were used for hunking clams at strippers in the bay around NYC.

Here are a couple more pre-1900 reels with planetary gears.

Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

reels were used for hunking clams at strippers
Cool, Jason! Never saw the guts of the first and completely forgot about the second. They really must have helped bring in those strippers. :yay

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

...Er...I assume the translation for that would be on the order of “ using clams to fish for stripers?” .... sorry, not up on East Coast vernacular! (And I see that the board, in its infinite wisdom, insists on adding that extra “p”)
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The bored added the "p" to liven things up. BTW, in East Coast vernacular, they--the clam targets--are rockfish.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

Sorry, throwing clams at strippers is something else entirely.

I went fishing out of Atlantic Highlands NJ once and we used clams to catch Striped Bass (Stripers). I imagine fisherman having been using that technique for quite a while.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

stripers strippers

:lol: Wasn't me that did that but just had to test it out.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Any later big game reels from the 1920's-1940's with p-gears, anybody?
Loquat I found. Stumbled across it while researching Indiana reels, of course. It became one of our Fin-Orest trolling reels.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

ReelOld
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ReelOld »

Steve wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:28 pm
Do you know of any examples of these gears being used in vintage conventional saltwater reels?
John, back in "the day," a conventional saltwater reel was just something big enough to be considered usable for larger, stronger saltwater fish. It took a long time before folks started making the huge trolling reels you're probably referring to. Anyway, W.H. Atkinson patented an amazing reel in 1891. It had planetary gears, a 2-speed transmission, and a drum brake. The transmission was provided to "increase power" when needed, a feature you would need more often for saltwater. Atkinson ran a business for many years making a variety of metal products, and later, auto parts. I can't imagine that he didn't attempt to make and market his reel, knowing that this was his second reel patent. The folks who collect the monster reels are in a better position to answer your question with regard to the later monsters.

Planetary gearing per se had been in use for two millennia before your reel was made; Leonardo drew them, and lots of machines employed them. Reelmakers often seem to be slow on the technological uptake.

Don, a Geneva movement is used to produce intermittent motion.
When did this change? I live on a coastal river with very dynamic salinity lines and ruin a lot of modern freshwater gear by guessing wrong about where the salt is. I use DAM 110's, Alcedo 2CS's etc a lot less than I would like because I'm afraid of doing the same to them. Should I relax about this?

The Orvis 150 had a saltwater edition labeled 150s. Was this just marketing or was there a material difference? Zangi didn't do this with Copte or Mascotte, right? I seem to have no trouble at all finding a clean, beautiful 150, but almost all of the 150s that I see are corroded trainwrecks That seems counterintuitive.

I want to use my Dam's, Alcedo's and Cargem's for skinny/salt water light tackle fishing, but I'm skeered!