Shimano Baitrunner Surprise!

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Reeltyme

Shimano Baitrunner Surprise!

Post by Reeltyme »

I thought I would share this recent situation I ran into while cleaning a 4000OC Shimano BaitRunner. I had cleaned and lubed 7 Shimano BaitRunners for a customer recently and was just finishing #8, the last one. I reassembled everything as before and gave the reel the spin test. Surprisingly as the spool hit it’s highest point on the stroke there was a “catch or bump” that wasn’t there before. It felt as though there was some sort of bind in it. I took the reel back apart and could not see anything wrong. I performed this assemble and reassemble 4 times with the same results. Finally I decided to take the reel apart one piece at a time and rotate the gears at each piece removed. I found no reason for the catch I was experiencing. I got all the way down to the shaft gear which I removed and rotated 90 degrees. I reassembled everything and, low and behold, it worked like a new reel! The only thing I did was rotate the drive gear for the shaft. I have to believe that at some point with the exact position I had assembled the gears in, that on the travel of everything combined, a possible factory “glitch” not realized before, was found. I don’t know if anyone else has run into this before, but if you find yourself in a similar situation, try a simple gear rotation. It might save you from pulling out what’s left of your hair! Good luck and good fishing!
Randy McConnell
Reeltyme
Last edited by kyreels on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replace Shakespeare with Shimano