Penn 710Z - spool rotates with the bail

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
John Heathcock
Big ORCA Fan

Penn 710Z - spool rotates with the bail

Post by John Heathcock »

When my grandfather passed away a few years ago I received his Penn 710Z (circa 1983 or 1984) reel and I have now started to clean it up and plan to use it. I have lubed the areas recommended in the manual (it was still in the box from my grandpa) but when I crank the handle the spool and the bail are spinning together so the line will not wind onto the spool. What should I do to enable this reel to wind line onto the spool so that I can use it?

It seems like the spool should not be rotating...

Thank you....
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Penn 710Z - spool rotates with the bail

Post by Midway Tommy D »

If you are talking about while actually fishing or having line out so there is line resistance check to make sure you have some drag tension. Chances are it was stored with the drag tension released. After removing, cleaning, lubing and reinstalling all of the drag washers the drag knob should be tightened down as far as possible to make sure everything seats correctly. Then loosen the drag knob to your likened tension. Drags, when stored for extended periods of time, should have little, if any, tension. About the only other possible problem would be if the brass bushing and spool click gear have come loose from the main shaft. If the oscillation screw to the main shaft has fallen out the entire spool and main shaft should easily pull out of the front of the rotor/worm gear pinion tube. Grab the spool while holding the rotor and try to turn it. If it turns easily tighten the drag knob. If that doesn't work check the other things I suggested. They are not complicated.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
John Heathcock
Big ORCA Fan

Post by John Heathcock »

I have not yet fished with this reel. I have attached the parts list so that I can reference the parts correctly as I some of the parts mentioned in the suggestion below are not familiar to me.

I am trying to get line on the spool (47-710Z) and have cranked the drag knob (52-710Z) as tight as possible yet the spool (47-710Z) still rotates in sync with the spool shaft (39-710) and the rotor cup (27-710Z) when I crank the handle (15-710Z).

Is the Pinion gear (19-710) supposed to rotate freely around the spool shaft (39-710)? If so, I believe mine are stuck together I would appreciate any tips to be able to disconnect these parts so I can lube them appropriately.

With my more modern reel the spool stays stationary (i.e. does not rotate) when cranking the handle and the rotor cup rotates to allow the bail to apply line onto the spool (i.e. reeling it in). This not happening with this reel so no line can actually be reeled in.

I have attached some pictures for reference.

Thanks for any tips you can provide.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

John Heathcock wrote:I have not yet fished with this reel. I have attached the parts list so that I can reference the parts correctly as I some of the parts mentioned in the suggestion below are not familiar to me.

I am trying to get line on the spool (47-710Z) and have cranked the drag knob (52-710Z) as tight as possible yet the spool (47-710Z) still rotates in sync with the spool shaft (39-710) and the rotor cup (27-710Z) when I crank the handle (15-710Z).

Is the Pinion gear (19-710) supposed to rotate freely around the spool shaft (39-710)? If so, I believe mine are stuck together I would appreciate any tips to be able to disconnect these parts so I can lube them appropriately.

With my more modern reel the spool stays stationary (i.e. does not rotate) when cranking the handle and the rotor cup rotates to allow the bail to apply line onto the spool (i.e. reeling it in). This not happening with this reel so no line can actually be reeled in.

I have attached some pictures for reference.

Thanks for any tips you can provide.
Your pictures did not post so:

The main shaft (39) should not rotate, it should oscillate in and out. Yes, the pinion gear (19) should spin (rotate) freely around the main shaft as it oscillates in and out. Make sure that screw (44) connects the crosswind block (43) to the main shaft (39) and that screw (13) and the crosswind roller (14) are connecting the crosswind block (43) to the main gear (8). (Photo example below)

I suppose 39 could be stuck to 19 but it would only be as a result of hardened grease and should come apart easily by simply heating the pinion (19) with a hair dryer and pulling while holding onto the shaft click gear and twisting. 43 has to be connected to 39 for the reel to operate correctly. From your description, if the drag knob (52) is tightened down, screw 44 has more than likely come loose or has broken off allowing the the main shaft (39) to spin inside the loop on 43.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
John Heathcock
Big ORCA Fan

Post by John Heathcock »

Thank you very much for all of your help. With alternating heat/pulling with pliers/adding drops of oil/repeat I was able to break the corrosion free. Now that the shaft is cleaned up and oiled it is working perfectly. I am looking forward to using it this week!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

In case you didn't think about doing it, the inside of the pinion worm gear should be cleaned with some type of solvent like lacquer thinner, paint thinner, naphtha, etc. You can do it with a Q tip. Burnishing with steel wool, ultra fine sand paper or wire brush after the solvent clean also helps efficiency.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
John Heathcock
Big ORCA Fan

Post by John Heathcock »

Will do, thanks!