Light Cleaning Reveals Surprise!

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Tom R
Frequent Board Poster

Light Cleaning Reveals Surprise!

Post by Tom R »

Light cleaning reveals previously unseen inscriptions. Prior to cleaning "old dusty and crusty" the only visible inscription on the reel was "Quadruple" on the face plate and the number 80 stamped on the foot. After the reel was cleaned I discovered the following stamped on the foot: "The Pennell" and "Regis'd & Pat. VL 3 94" At least that is what it looks like to me. Is this a Pflueger foot? Who made Pennell reels?

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Light Cleaning Reveals Surprise!

Post by john elder »

It does look likd a Pflueger foot...would be interesting to take a look at the main gear and see if it has the telltale witness marks we have discuss previously as hallmarks of Pfluegers.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Tom R
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Tom R »

Here is a few pictures of the gears.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, the gear suggests not Pflueger..no witness marks! I was thinking Pennell did have their own line of reels rather than just marketing tradereels, but i’m Sure someone will be along shortly to confirm or or deny that!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

https://www.orcaonline.org/reel-trademarks-by-owner/ The Moog patent for the foot was assigned to USN&T.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

"Pennell" was a trademarked brand name owned and sold exclusively through Edw. K. Tryon Sporting Goods of Philadelphia. Most were produced for Tryon by Montague after 1900 or so and likely by USN&T before their sale of the company to Montague, which this reel probably is?
Tom R
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Tom R »

Thanks to all who enlightened me by responding to my post. I've got a long way to go since I've only been collecting about two years.